Elevation map question

The 'direct' button. This will change the height of the tile to the value you specify however if you specify no other values then all tiles will change to that height.

This is a very simple but coarse way of explaining it but illustrates how it works. Let's say you want the top end of your map to be 20 m and the bottom 15m. Use the direct button with these values.

20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20

15 15 15 15 15 15 15 15

BOTTOM.

The terrain editor automatically fills in the intervening values so you will have an even upward slope from the bottom to the top of the map.

Play around a bit with it and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and bear in mind that every direct value that you specify has an impact on processing power so use direct values as sparingly as you can.

RCMP, you can only change one AS at a time, only exception is lowering or raising all AS at the same time.

If you change the elevation at location X, the map surroundings will change in relation to that elevation. So if you change X and Y, the space between these will automaticaly change to fit, as best as possible, the new elevations.

If all AS are set to 10 and you change X=9 and Y=20, being separated by 5 AS. You will get something like 9 11 13 15 17 19 20.

If you want to creat a hill, you will most of the time have to set the location for both the top and the botom of the hill. If you only put in the top, all surrounding as will addapt to this and the elevation change will be spread over a very large area.

Here is a concrete example:

CMFIElevationMap.jpg

Closeup of the South East corner of the map.

CMFIElevationMapCloseup.jpg

This example the contour "lines" I created were 5m apart starting with the top of the hill at 112-113m. As you can see I did not draw a solid line but spaced them out along the contour line. After that I added a few tweaks to shape the hill a bit. The non even '5'm heights are me creating a more interesting shape to the hill. This is based on a read place so the contour lines came from Google Earth.