AI Arty in QB's

This is getting somewhat tedious. Every QB i try to play with infantry only is preceded by MASSIVE Katyusha barrages. While I do appreciate that this was a devastating weapon if employed accurately, it doesn't really make for fun gaming when half the map is blanketed with rocket fire. Is this something that is being looked at or is the only hope around it manual unit purchase for the AI side?

Agree it is annoying. I think it happens because on tiny with some of the point category levels, only the cheaper rocket FOs fall within the AI's point budget for arty, so it takes them by necessity. That can be avoided by either setting an artillery point limit of zero or ensuring that it is high enough to afford other reactive types.

As for what to do about them if they are present, don't bunch up at the start, put people in any sort of cover, and start everyone on "hide". That has them lying down and can dramatically reduce the hits take from turn 1 prep fires. Get up and move out on turn 2 instead of turn 1. Not saying that is perfect, it is just a work-around.

Agree it is annoying. I think it happens because on tiny with some of the point category levels, only the cheaper rocket FOs fall within the AI's point budget for arty, so it takes them by necessity. That can be avoided by either setting an artillery point limit of zero or ensuring that it is high enough to afford other reactive types.

As for what to do about them if they are present, don't bunch up at the start, put people in any sort of cover, and start everyone on "hide". That has them lying down and can dramatically reduce the hits take from turn 1 prep fires. Get up and move out on turn 2 instead of turn 1. Not saying that is perfect, it is just a work-around.

Yup, that has become SOP for my infantry QB's now. :)

I need to get Fraps and record some of this, because it is hillarious. :) Half the map plastered in rocket fire, then I have to crawl around to find what few units the AI have purchased for whatever points it has left. :) Still, RT is the best CM yet. What a game! :)