Spotting and background

The consensus that seems to, IIRC, be borne out by testing is that background makes no difference for spotting. Nor does being in deep shadow.

It sort of makes sense when there's no way of knowing what elevation is really behind that skylined vehicle, off the map space you're given to play with. It also reduces the number of elements that need to be considered, helping keep the calculations tractable. Maybe at the next generation of processor...

It also reduces the number of elements that need to be considered, helping keep the calculations tractable. Maybe at the next generation of processor...

I suspect that is the key. I would love for units in shadows to be harder to spot, but it may be a while before we get that.

Michael

My guess that it is not so much the hit on the CPU but the usual assessment of effort against worth.

First you only have to do a background check for units where normal spotting has succeeded (not many tests). Then you have to trace a line from spotter to enemy and see if it hits something behind the enemy - a task very much like shooting and that is something CM is very likely very efficient at anyway. Last thing is to decide if that what you have hit (if any) gives you concealment thus giving you a chance to not having been spotted.

The question is where this feature is on 'the list'. :)

I'd like to see it coded someday. The "sky in the background" check, "contrastin with bacground" check and "being in shadow" check. Even if the bonuses (or penalties) were small (like +/- 30%) it would make spotting in game much more realistic and would promote carefull and realistic tactics regarding positioning of own units.

In real life a "bonus" to concealment (or to detection probability) for target in deep shadow, or target against a sky background, would probably be +/-100% or more. Dramatic difference and very important factor.