Question about Spotting

76mm

I am re-reading the manual and have a question about Spotting. On page 39 the manual says:

"Enemy units that are not seen by any of your troops are not shown on the map. This includes muzzle flame, smoke, dust and other effects directly attached to enemy unit behavior--there are also not shown unless the unit itself is already spotted by at least one one friendly soldier."

Is that right? Why would you not be able to see smoke or dust from any enemy unit unless you had seen the unit itself? At least under certain conditions, you should be able to see dust from miles away, even if the units are not visible. Ditto for smoke.

If we only could look out of the eyes of our pixeltruppen that would be ok. But since we can view from any point we can always make out the exact source of the smoke. That would allow us to exactly pinpoint the location of the vehicle.

This happened in AK all the time, where it looked like an invisible vehicle was driving down the road leaving a perfect trail of dust.

I am re-reading the manual and have a question about Spotting. On page 39 the manual says:

"Enemy units that are not seen by any of your troops are not shown on the map. This includes muzzle flame, smoke, dust and other effects directly attached to enemy unit behavior--there are also not shown unless the unit itself is already spotted by at least one one friendly soldier."

Is that right? Why would you not be able to see smoke or dust from any enemy unit unless you had seen the unit itself? At least under certain conditions, you should be able to see dust from miles away, even if the units are not visible. Ditto for smoke.

Either the manual is wrong or I have been hallucinating, take your pick. If an unseen enemy weapon fires and the shell hits a tree, I see the smoke of that explosion. I don't see the muzzle flash, that is true, but I can sometimes spot the trajectory of the incoming shell once it is far enough away from the weapon that fired it. All of which seems perfectly reasonable to me. I have not yet seen tall grass or grain show the passage of shells or MG bullets above it, which is slightly disappointing, but there are probably good reasons for that.

Michael