Red Storm over the Balkens: the failed Soviet Invasion of Romania Spring 1944

One of David Glantz' detailed histories. Although this "forgoten battle" was slightly earlier than Bagration lasting from 8 April to 6 June 1944 much the same equpment and formations would hasve been used on both sides.

Though we can set up scenarios from this period of the war in Russia it would be better if BF could actually expand the date of Red Thunder to cover the spring battles of 1944. I belief there is also a book by Rolf Hinze that covers the German side, Crucible of Combat, the latter half of which covers this and he other battles of the spring of 1944.

With the Courage of Desperation: Germany's Defence of the Southern Sector of the Eastern Front 1944 - 5 (also Rolf Hinze) would be directly relevant to study of the battles fought during the period June - September 1944 on Army Group South's sector.

His Stalingrad Trilogy (well the first two since the third is still on its way to me) is thoroughly enjoyable, best of his I have read so far. Thanks for the reminder, I will add the Balkans one to my list.

Lucas, I too have thought that until other modules for CMRT come out, one could shoe-horn nearby time period battles in. Especially for infantry only fights you could still get a good approximation (weather permitting, obviously not in the middle of winter).

His Stalingrad Trilogy (well the first two since the third is still on its way to me) is thoroughly enjoyable, best of his I have read so far. Thanks for the reminder, I will add the Balkans one to my list.

Lucas, I too have thought that until other modules for CMRT come out, one could shoe-horn nearby time period battles in. Especially for infantry only fights you could still get a good approximation (weather permitting, obviously not in the middle of winter).

That mght not be too much of a problem for th battles of April to early June 1944. We can already se the weaher, tempreture and ground conditions data to something likely to be suited to conditions in the spring of 1944.

It would however feel much better to be able to set the correct date for he engagement and it probably would be straightforward for BF to do this having already extended Normandy to cover Market Garden. It probably would be possible for them to extend Red Thunder to cover the time frame covered starting on, say 8 April to cover the Romanian battles when they produce the Romanian army (probably as part of the next module) which also covers us for the Army Group South role in the batles of the summer of 1944.