Whats your favourite battles?

Guest KwazyDog

Guest KwazyDog

Hi all. Just curious which battles you all out there find the most interesting on the Western Front and hope to be able to play out in Combat Mission? Im just curious, and thought it may give you something to think about whilst your waiting for the next AAR to come up smile.gif

Personally, I think its probably the battle for Arhnem Bridge for me. It was the first wargame I ever played (Storm over Arhnem), and I have very much respect for the brave souls whom fought there. Its going to be interesting to recreate it in 3D smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 08-30-99).]

Kwazy, you took the words right out of mouth. I had asked a couple of months ago about whether the Arnhem Bridge will be represented. It appears it will. I had some interesting battles in Arnhem with CC2. I think CM will be even better. I am also looking forward to Bulge scenarios and something at the Pegasus Bridge.

Larry

I'm from the Netherlands myself and one of the things i liked in CC2 was that i could actually recognise certain layouts of roads/houses in real-life. I understand, after reading the house-topic, that it's hard to create this in CM but i'm looking forward to Marketgarden Missions in CM myself (if i play the Axis side that is smile.gif )

Which brings me to two questions i have, which might not be answered here since it's a different topic...but i'll give it a shot.

1) Are the missions hisorically accurate or hypothetical? Meaning: when i play Allies in Marketgarden can i win..or do i lose, as it historically should, BUT with less casualties?

2)Are the SturmTiger and JagdTiger present in CM? i believe that there were only 19 ST and 48 JT deployed in the entire war..but these tanks kick ass. I would like to assault a building with my ST..that's why smile.gif

To get back to the real question..Market Garden sounds nice. Also the Battle of Britain should be cool...wait a sec...no Tigers were involved there...oke..scrap it smile.gif

I'd love to see some house-to-house scenarios, like the fighting in Metz, Bastogne, Aachen, and the like. That and the hedgerows in Normany. Anything close range and brutal like that gets really intense. And after watching the snapshots of the grenade-tossing sequences in turn 12, there would probably be blasts going off everywhere you turned in such scenarios.

Can't wait to see more of the house-clearing in the village between Martin and Fionn!

Dar Steckelberg

Guest kip anderson

Hi,

the Bulge is the one for me.

Living in the UK I am lucky to be able to pop over at the correct time of year, December. The place has changed very little,there has been almost no development just the rebuilding of destroyed dwellings.The village of Stoumont,where Peiper did most of his fighting, is quite unchanged. The map in the Historical ASL of Stoumont is exactly as the village is today and I intend to recreate this map in CM using the editor and refight the battles in that area.

All the best,

Kip.

PS. The fact that I may not be able to recreate the village in exact detail with version one of CM does not bother me, there has to be limits using a P200 system.

Hi Kwazy,

Love Market Garden.

I've been reading lots of good books lately:

"Seven Roads to Hell" (101st at Bastogne) and I am now reading "It never Snows in September" (the german viewpoint of Market Garden)

I too would love to create some battles in Market Garden, I think I'll stick to 101st and 82nd Airborne, though. I'll leave the Arnhem battles to the rest of you guys.

Also, I plan on making a small campaign of the 99th infantry Div. in the Bulge since my grandfather was in that division. Can you as Pieper rewrite history and smash through the 99th's line within 24 hours?

Guest KwazyDog

PanzerShark, Im 99% sure the JagdTiger will make an appearance in CM smile.gif

Not sure about the SturmTiger, but it would be nice to see.

Pak40,

Do you have the ISBN# for those two books?

I read a good one about two years back about the battles between the Peel marshes and the Maas. It has a lot of info on operation Constellation. The name of the book is "The Forgotten Battle" by A.K. Altes, 1994. ISBN# 1-885119-03-8

KwazyDog, I guess my favorite battle on the Western front would probable have to be the battle for Normandy although, Market Garden would be a close second. smile.gif

------------------

Rhet

Hi Rhet,

"It never snows in September" by Robert Kershaw. isbn 0711021678. I got this one from Amazon.com, but have actually seen it in Barns and Noble or Borders. It's got some detailed battle accounts that Ryan's "A Bridge to Far" didn't even mention. For instance, the first enemy encounter that XXX Corps experienced was a multi Panzershrek/faust ambush on the rear tank column of the Irish Gaurds.

I don't have "Seven Roads to Hell" with me right now, but it's by Donald Burgett. It's GREAT! Insanely detailed battle descriptions. Well written. He really gives you a sense of how it felt to be in battle. He paints a great detail of the battle for Noville. After reading his book you know exactly how the battles unfolded.

This one should be easy to find in any bookstore since it is a new Hardback. (He also wrote a book called "Curahee: We Stand Alone" later renamed to "As Eagles Screamed" . It's a good account of his D-Day jump and the few days in Normandy before he got wounded.)

PS: just saw a rumor on Amazon.com that "Curahee: We Stand alone" will be rereleased in September. Also, Burgett is writing a 3rd book on his Market Garden experiences.

[This message has been edited by Pak40 (edited 08-30-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Just to add my 2 cents here...

Battles in and around the St. Lo area, as well as Falise. Love to do battles from Nordwind or Patton's drive on Metz. But you know something, I REALLY love doing the plausable, but not historical, battles like Fionn and Martin are fighting right now. There could have been a dozen or two battles just like this in WWII ETO, but were not written about because they were, themselves, unimportant battles.

As far as the JT goes, yes, Jagdtigers are in (72 completed, 2 versions, and 4 with 88mm guns) for sure. In fact, we have a really nice one sitting on my hard drive waiting for the next vehicle update smile.gif

We would LOVE to get Sturmtigers in the game, but since only 18 were made and only 9 ever saw combat (Nordwind) it is low priority. However, the texture set we have for it is a really nice one. If it doesn't make it into the first release, expect it after (not sure if it will be patch or expansion pack).

Steve

Guest KwazyDog

Steve, I must agree that from a scenerio building perspective, I enjoy both playing and building the 'un-historical' scenerios. At CM's scale, I think you can get away with this without feeling that youve strayed too far from the historical trail, hehe. I think the important thing is to make sure that you have ganeral location, wether, and scenery conditions right, to make sure it still has the right feel. Hehe, it just wouldnt feel right playing on a snowey battlefield in June 44 smile.gif.

I think the one you made from Moon and Fionn is the perfect example of this. It historically plausable and is the perfect 'tense' situation to play out. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 08-31-99).]