Tanks-Encyclopedia, site must see

Fellow treadheads and modders!

The above mind-bending site is a place which may lead to your needing a rubber room and incontinence garments. Here, for example is a doc embedded on the site, a doc all about the history of IS-2 development, firing trials vs Tiger 1, combat footage (including steppe) w/wo tankodesantniki, even footage of the IS-3, which saw no combat, parading on Victory Day.

The modders will love all the artwork of IS-2s in various paint schemes and markings. Some of the camo schemes are the basis of the special garments I mentioned earlier.

Also, as a result of an immense amount of digging (FB ? fm friend and family), I learned that the 3rd DT on an IS-2 (listed on Battlefield.ru, Tanks-Encyclopedia and here:

is a fixed MG operated by the driver. This is flatly stated in Zaloga's IS-2 Heavy Tank book on page 47. Unfortunately, almost everything I read on the IS-2 is focused on the 122mm D25T and armor scheme, to the virtual ignoring of the secondary armament, even at ultra groggy Tank Awareness.

Regards,

John Kettler

Oh wow...

"even the King Tiger could not penetrate our IS tanks from more than 400 meters at the front, while our IS could penetrate the King Tiger from the front at 600 meters"...

That sounds very fishy to me.

And I'm pretty much a russofile when it comes to WWII, I love the russian vehicles, but this just sounds like baloney to me.

The odd thing about that rigidly mounted DTS MG in the IS-2 right hull side. I've scoured contemporary photos and I have yet to see a MG barrel protruding from that keyhole opening. Well, perhaps I saw a MG barrel in one photo, but the tank had been thoroughly dismantled from an explosion and I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. Rigidly mounted bow MGs on Soviet tanks continued postwar into T44, T-54 and T55, only being phased out with T-55M.

Oddball_E8,

Tanks-Encyclopedia, plus the usual ending, will get you to the site. I didn't post a link because I'm still waiting for official feedback from BFC on what is and isn't permitted. I posted a thread on the GDF specifically requesting such guidance.

If you go to the treadhead blog Archive Awareness, there is a great deal there on 122mm D25T firing trials, IS-122/IS-2 armor resistance requirements vs specific German threats (88mm L/71!), plus IS-2 combat experience vs German armor up through King Tigers and Ferdinand. IS-2 was a very tough tank. I think the doc is more of interest for what it shows than for what the narrator says.

MikeyD,

The closest I've come to finding that vexed hull MG is in a quartering right front shot on Archive Awareness in the post Birth of the IS Tanks Part 2: IS-122. There, above and slightly to the right of the right headlight, on the same line as a mudguard bracket is what looks to me like a barrel shroud. Whatever it is is armored. Here's a pic showing what I'm describing.

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/IS2/is2_12.jpg

Regards,

John Kettler