Hi there,

just a short question this time. Is there any reason for the full war entry of greece in the Call to arms campaign in 1915?

In Reality there was only the occupation of Saloniki (and maybe some parts of northern greece) by the Entente and Venizelos. A full war entry happened just in 1917. You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greece_during_World_War_I

Why not make the occupation-event (there is some occupation of an greece island by british forces in 1915 as an event) to an "Entente-Forces seize Salomiki" event?

Furchtlosundtrew

Hi

My thinking behind it is that while we could have the Entente occupy just Salonika and the immediate area around it, things could get a bit messy if the Central Powers advance on them, i.e. which tiles do we have as active, and which as inactive?

So instead we adopted a different approach whereby Entente forces can enter Greece, but the Greek armed forces are largely neutral until after the Venizelos Coup, from which point Greek forces will (if the coup succeeds) play more of a role in the war.

I felt that this was easier than to have part of mainland Greece come under British or French occupation, simply because if one part is under occupation, it wouldn't be possible to extend the occupation even by one tile without either declaring war on Greece as a whole, or having a whole series of Decision Events. So in plain English, I opted for a simpler solution! :)

Bill

Hi Bill,

thank you, I understand. I didn't know, that there is another event that gives greece more troops (that his how i interpret the venizelos coup without exactly knowing it). Against the AI the greece surreender follows normally shortly after the war entry :D

I think you choosed indeed a good solution to avoid the necessity of a chain of events :)

Furchtlosundtrew

The way Greece is handled really shows Bill's skill as a scenario designer. Designers must work within the developer's system (a truth many customers cavalierly dismiss) and this compromise solution was a nice way to construct a historically reasonable work around to a code constraint.