Great game, enjoying myself, but . . . .

I'd like clarification on a couple of things that I'm experiencing. (I have read the manual, but of course that doesn't mean I have the IQ to glean the answers :confused:).

First, there's no way I can find to toggle the side menu to the one with the end turn and quit menus. How do I do that? I'm having to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of the game, which is not good.

Second, the AI is able to do things with units I can't match -- they zip all over the battlefield, while mine plod along attacking with one unit at a time. The manual introduced me to the switch unit function (shift mouse), but the AI is moving units in and out like a dance and I'm not clear how it's doing that. Is there a "tips and tricks" section or corner of the web where things like this are explained? IOW, is there a "tactics" guide to go along with a strategy guide?

Third, is there a more persistent undo function? Sometimes I move my units and then just happen to click on another unit, but it's too late to undo the move. Ditto with "switching" the wrong units in line.

Fourth, is it really the case that the Turkish defenders in Gallipoli get no reinforcement and no new units? I thought the Somme was tough, but trying to defend that peninsula with wnat's on the board at the beginning is, uh, difficult.

Fifth, do I have to download and install all the patches in order, or does the most recent patch include all prior updates?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hi Stevens44

First, there's no way I can find to toggle the side menu to the one with the end turn and quit menus. How do I do that? I'm having to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of the game, which is not good.

With the WWI game (and more recent releases) there is no need for any toggling of the side menus anymore.

The End Turn button should be on the top right, as per the first image here:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=107356

Second, the AI is able to do things with units I can't match -- they zip all over the battlefield, while mine plod along attacking with one unit at a time. The manual introduced me to the switch unit function (shift mouse), but the AI is moving units in and out like a dance and I'm not clear how it's doing that. Is there a "tips and tricks" section or corner of the web where things like this are explained? IOW, is there a "tactics" guide to go along with a strategy guide?

The AI should just be doing the same thing, but faster than we could physically do.

My recommendation would generally be to firstly reconnoiter with any aircraft you have, to see if the defenders have hidden artillery support, or any potential reserves/weaknesses beyond their front line.

When attacking, use your artillery first to weaken the defenders, then attack with units in place. Switch them for ones behind the line to complete the victory, but only attack with them if you feel confident of success because the switched units will be at lower efficiency and won't benefit from the Prepared Attack bonus.

The reason for reconnoitering first before attacking is that if your attack succeeds and you decide to exploit it, this will avoid any nasty surprises when your unit advances into the enemy trenches and gets promptly hit by another enemy unit in a second line of trenches.

Third, is there a more persistent undo function? Sometimes I move my units and then just happen to click on another unit, but it's too late to undo the move. Ditto with "switching" the wrong units in line.

I'm afraid not, my advice would be to only click to move/switch units when you're sure. Otherwise hover, or make sure you release only when ready.

Fourth, is it really the case that the Turkish defenders in Gallipoli get no reinforcement and no new units? I thought the Somme was tough, but trying to defend that peninsula with wnat's on the board at the beginning is, uh, difficult.

There should be several sets of Ottoman reinforcements arriving at Maidos and Khilid Bahr during the game. I've just tested it out, and in the first Ottoman turn, two regiments and one artillery unit should deploy at Maidos. More should come later.

It should be tight, but the Entente have limited time too in which to win, so it's a case of trying to hold them, slow their advance, and bleed them of strength.

Fifth, do I have to download and install all the patches in order, or does the most recent patch include all prior updates?

My pleasure! :)

Bill

I'd like clarification on a couple of things that I'm experiencing. (I have read the manual, but of course that doesn't mean I have the IQ to glean the answers :confused:).

No need to install old patches, you alway need only to install the latest patch!

:)

Thanks, guys. Bill, I have two menus -- one has buttons but only 2 icons a little guy pointing and a box with a report in it. The menu on the screen you linked to sometimes appears, but then switches to the 'blank' menu and there's no way to get it back. Thanks again.

BTW, is it possible to have the AI play itself? That's one way to explore game tips and options, I've found.

The AI can play itself if you press F3 before starting a game, then you can sit back and watch what happens, or alternatively go away and come back later to see the result.

I'm honestly not too sure about what you're describing about the menu buttons. The Demos have limited options like that, but not the full game which I presume you're playing?