HMS Campbeltown Raid

I am enjoying AOD very much but am a little puzzled why the Campbeltown Raid is still proceeding in Mar 42 when in my game the Axis has already conquered the UK & Gibraltar. The reason & means to conduct the raid are both now gone so I would have expected this script not to run.

Hi

I've just checked the scripts and the decision is taken at the start of December 1940, and it requires Bristol to still be in Allied hands at that time.

The raid itself doesn't take place until March 1942, though the engine does check for the UK still being Allied at that time for it still to fire.

So in this unfortunate instance we are seeing what would have to be a rather long range raid, as I presume that the British fighting on from exile.

Fixing it so that it only happens if the UK hasn't been invaded could unfortunately be a little tricky, and at least this way the UK player will get the raid that they paid for - and used up a Destroyer in. Unfortunately we haven't really got an easy way to give back to the UK the Campbeltown Destroyer if the UK is conquered, but to use it in the raid if it isn't.

Bill

Maybe it would be better to remove the decision event and give destroyers an option to destroy harbors (damaging both the port AND the destroyer).

Or the event should fire quickly, or should be lost once the UK gets conquered by the enemy.

I would favor a change in the game system for raids like this one. Some kind of research system for random events. If you invest, you have the chance (no guarantee) that something good will come your way. Something small like this raid. Or U47's attack on Scapa Flow. Minor diplomatic things. A little this, a little that.

Hi Bill,

thank you for promp and detailed reply.

Perhaps an easy fix would be to delay the decision event to say Sep 41 after the return of the Campbeltown from the Royal Netherlands Navy, afterall the reason for the raid was I believe, to stop the Germans from using the dry dock at St Nazaire for servicing the Tirpitz. Perhaps one of the forums historians can confirm a date when the decision was taken to proceed with Operation Chariot.

Anyway I understand that modifications on the Campbeltown didn't start till Jan 42 so the Decision event could be left till then, in which case it would not fire in my game as Bristol fell long before that.

Regards,

Bill