Visibility of Submarines

Hi there,

just playing the CPs in the Ostaufmarsch-Scenario vs. the AI. I Don't know, wether it is just in this scenario or even in other scenarios, but i have a problem with the visibility of my submarines.

I think the AI can "see" my submarines when i don't move them in the "Silent-Modus". I was moving a pack of u-Boats from the german coast into the north sea in the hunt-Modus (which means greater range ov movement). They stopped somewhere south of the Blockade-Line near (but not adjacent) to the norwegian coast. No british ship in sight. In the AI turn, the AI moved several cruisers and destroyers and attacked my boats. There was no surprise contact. It was not only one boat, the AI knew all positions. My boats where placed with some space between them, what means, the detection of one boat and the fightings around it doesn't lead automatically to the detection of other boats and there was no surprise contact although the AI attacked three or four boats...

Then i reloaded and tried again with movement in "silent-modus". This time the AI didn't detect my boats. This was in early 1915 but i tried again in summer of 1916 and it was the same. British ships knew the position of my boats when not moved in the silent modus... This applies at least for the north sea, wether it is the same in the atlantic ocean or the mediterranien sea I don't know.

Is it a bug or did i missunderstand the naval rules?

Furchtlosundtrew

Hi Furchtlosundtrew,

Just to clarify and confirm, subs in Hunt mode can be spotted at sea just like any other naval unit while those in Silent mode should not be visible at all.

However there are a few things that could account for your subs having been spotted while in Hunt mode, i.e. the mode they can be spotted in.

1) Air units from the UK may have spotted them

2) An intelligence hit whereby various units on the map are revealed may have revealed their position to the AI

3) If you are playing at either Intermediate or Expert level then this will add a +1 and +2 spotting range (respectively) to the AI.

Could any of these have applied in your game?

Hubert

Hi Hubert,

thanks for your answer.

I Think you got me:)

I didn't know about the greater spotting range in expert level. This could explain, why the British ships could see one or two of my boats near the blockade line and by moving and attacking them even the other boats got in the greater spotting range of the attacking ships. Sorry for the false alarm:o

Just to get shure: If there is an air detection (by zeppelin, Carrier or tactical bomber), the detected player should remarke it shouldn't he?

Furchtlosundtrew

Hi Furchtlosundtrew,

Good to hear and for air detection we don't currently have anything in place to indicate that your units have been detected.

It's an interesting thought and we'd have to think about that as it would have implications for FoW as you'd then also know that there might be enemy air units in the area (i.e. reverse detection) and that may or may not be desirable game play wise.

Hubert

Hi Hubert,

it would make sense, if the detected unit would recognise the detection. I would think most submarine-crews (like the crews of any other ship) did notice, when a Zeppelin or a seaplane flew over them.

Of course this should not result in knowing where the plane/Zeppelin etc. came from.

Ideas would be:

- Some presentation on the replay of the enemy turn (maybe a red circle around the detected unit and the typical noise of the detecting unit)

- and/or a little symbol beside the unit after the enemy turn

- and/or (my favorite sollution) a Message in the message box at the beginning of the turn (maybe something like this: "U 10, Tile 101/13, was detected by a seaplane/Airship/Recon-Bomber."). With this sollution you would know, that there are enemy units so you have to be carefull (i.e. put the silent-Mode on and dive) but you would not know where the enemy came from.