The Visual Aspects of FOW

First off, let me say that I really like where this game is going. I have waited for a long time for this demo, and I like it alot. The FOW aspects, while somewhat non-intuitive at first are really a nice comprehensive effort at rendering a very dynamic chaotic situation(combat) onto a computer monitor. Having said that, I wish to convey one simple observation:

Casualties on a battlefield are an intergral part of the FOW. There I said it, now please allow me to explain. Given that Combat Mission uses symbolism in representing squads by using three soldiers (roughly 3-4 men per solider I think) I think that representing casulties in the same manner would be an excellent way to give a sense of damage to the battlefield. Imagine, engaging an infantry squad a 150m, the tracers fly and an enemy drops!!! YES!!!! Much better than POOF!!! an enemy disappears!!!! I know that it would be more comsmetic than anything, since the soldiers disappear as they die anyway, but it would allow us to look back on the battlefield after the smoke clears and know brave men fell here...Plus since casualties would simply be replacing the previously live soldier, the framrate hit would be no different than the start of the battle. We wouldnt like a tank to be hit and then disappear, why should it be any different with the grunts? As I said before, I love this game and will buy it, but this one feature could really add that little extra bit....

Guest Madmatt

Valentaur,

I said pretty much the same thing in a post a few days ago...Ummm I used alot more words though! wink.gif I can't remember which thread it was in but check out the 'I wanna Know Everything' thread, perhaps it got buried in there!

Madmatt out...

Guest Big Time Software

This has been covered about a dozen times. The main problem is that guys generally become casualties in ones and twos. Therefore dropping one figure where the break point is reached is actually misleading. Say you lose 3 guys out of 12 to an artillery round, then move the unit 100m away to have a 4th guy sniped. The body is put down right there. And what does that tell you? Not much smile.gif

For more info on this tedious topic, use Search.

Steve

Not to beat this horse anymore but...

having dead bodies would also be MORE confusing when you had more than one squad moving close to one another. Suppose you order a full platoon to make a close-in assault and they pretty much charge in one each others' heels. If one squad lost 4 or 5 guys (one graphical soldier) and the others lost none, then you'd have the task of clicking each of the 3 squads to see who took losses. This clicking is no different from clicking on individual units to see if they have taken casualties or not (the current system)

DjB

CoolColJ,

It's a good idea but one that has been raised before.

Your suggestion of having a body every 3rd death would be confusing though since what happens when you lose 2 units in one place and 1 in another?

Do you put the point midway between them where NO-ONE wa shot? Do you put it with the 1 or the 2? Either way it gives false information.

No, it's better to leave it as is in my personal opinion.

PS. Personaly opinion is mine and carries no special weight.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers