New guy's opinion

Very impressive gentlemen. If it is pulled off, it will be an absolute hit and will begin a new era in wargamming. I am a enthusaistic gamer and own very many, but I am also selective and think that I have a good eye for what works and what doesn't. I want to see this game work. So in light of that I wish to add a few opinions and hope that they are taken in good light.

a)the graphics need a bit more refinement. Shadowing and such. I know that computers are not up to par yet for such a ground breaking game, but is it possible to make the texture maps look a bit more gritty with shading? Although polygon counts have to be kept at a minimal, can't the textures have more attention to detail put in? It will pay off.

b)Careful to not release the game with too many bugs. This would include ensuring that all aspects that have been on development agenda will be covered. It seems common practice to release games before they're ready due to deadlines and greed. (Sierra anyone?)

c)attention to story: Wargammers are a sticky bunch liking historical mechanics rather than good story, but as a lover of wargames myself and an avid all around gamer, I find that story is what mostly grabs my attention and sets apart a game. Since campaigns are going to be used then I think that this would be important, particularly good intro and campaign conclusions.

d) a furthur note on graphics. The actual terrain looks impressive, but I would advise implementation of firery shooting graphics as well as good animated explosions. I haven't seen, but will damage be able to be done to terrain? Also, will progressive graphical damage show up on vehicles and equipment?

E) the years 1944 to 45? I personally would like to see a span of the entire war. Big job yes, but hell, the game is riding the wave already, why not take it up a notch and ensure it's victory?

That's it for now and for what it's worth, you have gotten my attention. I have informed a number of others as well and they will be keeping an eye out for CM's progress. Here's to the possability of an outstanding future! Cheers smile.gif

Von Edward Das Baron

------------------

eddy@hitecsoft.com

Guest KwazyDog

Hiya. I think I can answer a couple of questions for you with information gleamed from elsewhere on this board. Im sure Steve will add some more smile.gif

a) Keep in mind that most of the images youve seen are from the Alpha and require tweaking, some of the textures on them are from way back. I believe Steve mentioned on the board a little while ago he is going to put up parade ground shots of vehicles in the future. I think you will find that the final textures and vehicle models should come up looking pretty damn nice smile.gif

B) Steve has said on many an occasion that the game will definately not be released until it is ready, so I dont think youll need to worry here. I know we all want to get it in our hands, but I think everyone here would also agree with you that a product should not be released until its ready...(BC3000AD and Falcon 4 to a lesser extent proved this)

e) This version of CM stretches from the invasion (after they got off the beaches), until the end of the war on the Western Front. I believe the next version will cover the Eastern Front, and the one after that Italy, though I could be wrong here, hehe. The probably with including them all in the one game would be time. As an example, Id guess each vehicle requires about 3 days of research, model building, texturing and tweaking. If you check out the amount of vehicles in the wish list for the current CM then you can see how long it would take to do the entire war smile.gif

Anwyays, hope this has been informative. This is all from memory, so I could be wrong on some points...

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-29-99).]

I think it is time for me to sound off too. I've been lurking here for awhile now and I want to express some of my opinions. I am very much looking forward to the game (I already pre-ordered) being a WWII history buf and a gamer (the best two things to be smile.gif ) and am very impressed and the amount of work done by 2 (is that right?) people being a coder myself. Just out curiosity my I ask what development platform are you using?

I stand by almost all of your decisions regarding suggestions on what to leave in and what add to the game. Not only is it just plain difficult to impliment new things in late stages of developement (unless, of course you have a real guru on your team which it sounds like you do) but also I realize that, after all, it is just a game. I wouldn't want the real experiences of war. I just want enjoyable (yet as historically detailed as feasible) gameplay.

regards,

Maus

[This message has been edited by Maus (edited 09-29-99).]

Much of this has been discussed before, but I’ll try to add to KwazyDog’s post.

a) Besides being from the Alpha version, the screenshots have also been compressed. As we have been told before, these screenshots don’t do justice to the real thing.

B) Steve & Charles have been working on this game for over 2 years, if I’m not wrong. If the computer gaming industry followed their example, “bugs” might become an endangered species.

c) Can’t really comment on this one.

d) Damage is done & shown to the terrain and buildings. As I understand it, progressive damage will not be shown. Either a vehicle is shown in one piece or destroyed.

e) CM1 is Europe 1944-45, CM2 will be the Eastern Front (not sure if it will be 1941-45, but probably), CM3 will be the Mediterranean and CM4 will be Europe in the early years (1939-40). I think I have this right.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 09-30-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Welcome newbies and lurkers alike smile.gif

Well, people have got it pretty much covered. We aren't interested in putting out a buggy piece of crap after all this hard work, so that should be forgotten about smile.gif

As for the vehicles, they look better than any other wargame ever even conceived, and are even better looking than ones from highly expensive sim games. Funny thing is that we didn't start out with that as a goal (we were shooting for pleasing and functional), but it happened anyways.

Maus, there are many people chipping in to help at this stage of the development cycle, but the core of the game is designed and programmed by Charles alone. I help out quite a bit with all sorts of stuff, but I don't code. Primary development platform is a 180MHz Power Mac 8500 using Code Warrior. Same compiler is being used on a K6 366.

The story thing is up to the scenario designer. It can be engaging or boring depending on the personality, knowledge, and time of the person making the scenario. Since CM will have hundreds of user made scenarios from all over the NW ETO there is no story to be filled out ahead of time.

Steve

While I certainly favor the Eastern front for version 2, I'd prefer North Africa over Italy for v3. Then I'd like a switch to the Pacific, say Guadalcanal or the Philippines for v4. [i suppose research on Japanese equipment might argue against this sequence. If that's a problem, how about switching to Korea? The commies used mostly WW2 russian gear, and US, Brit, and French units would be very similar to WW2.]

Actually, though, as scenarios become available for CMs one and two, there may be little benefit from v3 and beyond.

I WANT THIS GAME!

Guest Big Time Software

The third release will have North Africa, Italy, and most likely the Balkans all in one package smile.gif The fourth will be early war (Poland, France, and the Balkans if we didn't do it for the third).

Steve

P.S. Watch out for hitting the back button and then the forward one after posting. It will double post you every time wink.gif

I know this is a little off topic but I think it would be nice to make a Vietnam game. That would be amazing!! By the time you guys are finished 3 or 4 CM games I'm sure technology will be far enough along to allow this. It would probably be hard but nothing like this has ever been done(As far as I know). Anyway keep up the good work!!

Colin

------------------

"The object of war is not

to die for your country,

but to make the other

bastard die for his"

George Pat

You guys are always talking about how good the tanks look! Your infantry lnfantry also looks Great! I get a huge kick out of seeing them running alongside tanks. For once a game that is not just tank oriented {close combat series, well not so much cc1} but shows that combined arms is the way to go! Infantry actually have a big part to play.

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks! Yeah, the infantry are much harder to show off in a static screenshot. As for the gameplay aspects, this is the first game I have ever played that I don't mind having only one or two AFVs for my entire fighting force. In fact, I think I would rather have an all infantry game than one that was mixed 50/50 with vehicles.

Steve

IMO it would be difficult to directly transfer the system to the Pacific Theatre as I think Steve might have mentioned before. This particularly so because of the geographical vastness means a great variety of terrain types some of which would be difficult to accurately simulate using the same game. For a start you have lots of amphibious operations so it might be OK for more open terrain. Jungle would be a different matter altogether and this goes for Vietnam too. It is very difficult to simulate because the nature of the combat changes dramatically due to the closeness of the terrain. Command and control and coordination also become problematic to stimulate as in some instances they cease to exist. Responsibility for the conduct of the battle devolves down to the very basic level of the junior officers, NCOs and even individuals. Furthermore the importance of close quarters and hand to hand combat becomes much more significant and would require careful attention.

"Many accounts of the fighting along the Kokoda trail and at Milne Bay have remarked on the reluctance of the enemy to stand in the face of a determined bayonet charge" Peter Burne-Exploding the Myth of Japanese Invincibility smile.gif

[This message has been edited by SimonFox (edited 09-30-99).]