Lemon Hill

Minor Defeat, even though the rattled and broken Italian infantry overran the lemon grove in the last minutes. On the defense every last Yank died where he stood. If even a few of them had any sense of self-preservation, I would have gotten at least a minor victory.

What I have learned from this debacle is that no matter how many 6.5mm rounds one concentrates upon paratroopers in foxholes, they will shrug them off as rainfall.

Minor Defeat, even though the rattled and broken Italian infantry overran the lemon grove in the last minutes. On the defense every last Yank died where he stood. If even a few of them had any sense of self-preservation, I would have gotten at least a minor victory.

What I have learned from this debacle is that no matter how many 6.5mm rounds one concentrates upon paratroopers in foxholes, they will shrug them off as rainfall.

The 6.5mm doesn't stack up next to .30-06 or .303 or 7.92 mm rounds, that's for sure. That's some tough VCs that have you take the ground, kill all the enemy and still lose!

I've managed Total Victory with the Italians. The thing to remember is that even the armoured vehicles that the Italians have can be (easily) taken out by .50 caliber machineguns and you've already pointed out the lack of effectiveness of their 6.5mm bullets. That said, the Italians do have one advantage in the battle, their artillery. The way I've won is to use the infantry to find the US troops, then sit back (aka hide) until the artillery hits, and only then go in and take the position, then find the next US position and repeat (i.e. play them as if it's WW I, not WW II). It's going to be slow, but since the Italian artillery actually has the punch the ground troops don't, it works.

Jyri

• 2 years later...

In principle a very nice scenario but with one big problem: some defending forces are placed not according to tactical considerations, but purely due to game mechanic LOS/LOF restrictions and a very unrealistic timeframe is meant to create problems for the attacker.

Instead of using time so often in scenarios to create tension and also allowing a massacre of the own forces and still win gloriously, why not decrease the allowed casualty thresholds dramatically to realistic levels and get rid of this awful time pressure?

What about offering two versions of scenarios? One gamey version for the kids and one for us real men? :D

In principle a very nice scenario but with one big problem: some defending forces are placed not according to tactical considerations, but purely due to game mechanic LOS/LOF restrictions and a very unrealistic timeframe is meant to create problems for the attacker.

Instead of using time so often in scenarios to create tension and also allowing a massacre of the own forces and still win gloriously, why not decrease the allowed casualty thresholds dramatically to realistic levels and get rid of this awful time pressure?

What about offering two versions of scenarios? One gamey version for the kids and one for us real men? :D

I was able to win as the Italians with 10 min left which is plenty of time.. Maybe dont move like molasses :D

I know that not many players play that way, but I play Auftragstaktik style.
Since I had no clue where the defense was weakest and what approach routes were covered by guns and which ones not, I used all three platoons as tentacles first. The attack on the left along the street went surprisingly well and so it took quite some time to shift the other two platoons back to the rear again and to the left.