goddam waste of time

Listen, I've been reading this board for MONTHS now and I've finally chosen to speak up.

It has occured to me that the crew at Combat Mission have been wasting their time posting stuff on this board and putting stuff on that HQ site way too much. Perhaps, if they spent a bit little more time working on the game and not cluttering up this board and putting stuff on HQ they'd be done with the game faster. It's a utilitsation of time. I myself have not ordered the game, but I've rather observed the "going's on" here and with all these gaming fanatics here....every second counts...! At least that's the way I feel about it. Have I played combat mission yet? Yes. I downloaded the Win Version a few months ago. But guys....get to work, okay? Unless you want these savages to turn on you. Quit wasting time and grow up.

Guest Capt_Manieri

Hey!!! Combat Mission is the best game ever made!! Really and truly!! They aren't wasting time, they just want consumer input. If you created a game of this caliber maybe you'd understand you prick!!!

Captain Manieri .....out.

Guest coolguy101

Lt_Cigarette,

Steve and Charles don't run CMHQ. Fionn and Matt do. (There doing a good job to smile.gif)

They (Steveand Charles)have taken a much deserved break over the holidays though.

"Good Fight and Good Night"

[This message has been edited by coolguy101 (edited 12-28-99).]

Guest Madmatt

Steve and Charles may have taken a breather but I assure you that Fionn and I (nether of whom work for BTS By the way) have'nt.

Madmatt out

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

p.s. How is that you can read this forum for months yet be totaly oblivious to fact that neither I nor Fionn have any direct connection with BTS? He is an external Beta tester and I am just some nobody who loves the demo. How is our posting and support in any way going to delay the game? I am sorry but your logic fails me...

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-27-99).]

Guest John Pender

Capt_Manieri,

Your posts are getting old, please refrain from posting if:

A. you have nothing worth saying

B. you can not get your point across in a civil manner.

ps Guys take all the time you need to finish the game, enjoy your vacation, keep up the great work.

Take care

John

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Quit wasting time and grow up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cripes, I don't even know what to say to something like this, other than to ask who the Hell you think you are telling us what to do? You have zero right to criticize us. Hell, you haven't even placed a preorder, so even the tired, lame "I put my money down so you have to take my crap" line of argument doesn't work too well either. Gee, you could have at least lied and said you placed a preorder 10 years ago and put your first born up for slavery, or something.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But guys....get to work, okay?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess 28 man hours a day between Charles and I, of which about 1 is dedicated to this BBS, clearly shows that we are goofing off. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. We'll get right on it sir and have this game done in a couple of days thanks to your superior application of brain juices on this matter.

Man, get a clue...

Steve

Guest MantaRay

What a ****ing moron!!!! I mean what gaul to come to the message board that is run by BTS and bitch at 2 people who do not even directly work for BTS. Put your panties back on and step out of the A.O.

And how can you complain about a company who actually has people who are associated with the game (directly)who come and write long messages about some of the concerns that the consumer has??? They usually have some lame-brained moderator(no offense to whoever the moderator is here) who comes on and gives wrong and rude comments on the game. And I havent noticed that any of the critical post here have been censored and wiped away. Go to the swat 3 boards sometime, there ARE NO REALLY CRITICAL POSTS ON THE GAME. And boy have I written my fair share, only to find them deleted minutes later...and I LIKE THAT GAME!!!!!

And if there was an award for Boring Boards, Sierra would always win. Here atleast you find the historical issues raised, and maybe even the gronards do whine a little too much, but I think they understand how good the game can be from the demo. And if there was no complaints, I wouldnt buy the game, because how can you trust a company that doesnt tell the truth about even the flaws?

I do hope and pray that BTS doesnt become a big company or sell out to one of the big fish though. I would like to think that every game that is made by a wargamer company is more of a labour of love rather than the old get rich by making an unfinished product. Talonsoft was in line to be the best wargamming company out there, but sold out to Take Two, and now looks to be making games that are not as good as they could be.

Off the soap box now.

Ray

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks Ray smile.gif

I have to say one thing right here and now... if BTS should ever become aquired/partnered with a big company, you can BET YOUR ASS that will be based around language that ensures that we can develop and support just as we are now. We have been doing this too long to sell the farm. In fact, offers have been made in the past, and even though they came with huge dollars, we turned them down because we didn't have the assurances we needed that we could do things OUR way after the ink dried. So if the next deal that comes at us has language that would hinder our ability to develop and support as we see fit... I can assure you we will turn it down flat. We have zero interest in losing control of our hard work.

Steve

Guest MantaRay

Believe it or not though Steve, Talonsoft said the same thing once upon a time. And I do uderstand that you have to make the bucks to stay in business, and chasing the big bucks is the American way, but the gamming companies that make war games that are playable are dwindling, and I hope you guys stay around for a while. smile.gif

Ray

------------------

Ray has it about right wink.gif.

Point 1.

CMHQ is run by Myself and Matt. We are both beta testers (since Matt got his beta copy about a day ago and has been sending comments like "Wow, ohmygod, wow" into my inbox over the past day wink.gif ).

Steve and Charles don't do anything with CMHQ. I sometimes go to them and ask if showing such and such a vehicle is ok or if it is finished yet etc but basically 95% of what goes up on CMHQ has never even been mentioned to Steve and Charles. We just post what we see fit when we see fit (whilst operating a little common sense and not letting anything out of the bag which shouldn't get out wink.gif ).

If I choose to devote my time to CMHQ and do a little less testing because of it then so be it... CM has a lot of really, really good testers. I feel that I can provide the best service by posting to this forum and doing work for CMHQ.

And quite frankly, the fact you don't even seem to understand that I'm an external beta tester and that Steve and Charles have nothing to do with CMHQ speaks volumes for the thought that went into your post.

Perhaps it'd be better to check your suppositions next time wink.gif.

As for the "get to work, okay?... Quit wasting time and grow up."

LOL. EVERY tester or anyone who has contact with Steve and Charles over the past months would know how much of a joke those sentences are. They literally are working 24/7 ( I don't begrudge them xmas one little bit.. I went AWOL for 3 days from the net and the computer and its the best break I had all year.)

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

<sniff> <sniff> Anybody get that whiff of ... Troll...? :) FWIW, I commend both BTS and Fionn and Matt for their work, both on the game and on this site. Ever since I got the game this site has been one of the places I go regularly. I also commend BTS for their decision to release the game when it's right, as well as their decision to support the final users (and yes, my pre order is already in <g>) by keeping us informed.

I,like the others playing this great game ... opps, sorry, this great BETA Demo :) would dearly love to play the Arnhem bridge scenario (do those screenshots look great or what?) but I am willing to let BTS be the judge of when it's ready.

Thanks to all involved, keep up the great work.

Joe

Before Lt_Cigarette damages the reputation of us lurkers, I'd just like to thank everyone involved with CM. I, for one, really appreciate the work that is being done - both on CM itself, and on the fansites like CMHQ. Thanks! BTW - make sure you take new year's eve off - and new year's day too, if you do the night before right! wink.gif

Guest Stabsfeldwebel

Buddy when you are working on a project that takes literally months of work, do you not take breaks? Try actually writing code for a few hours and lets see if you think taking 5 minutes to read the posts, OF the customers that will be buying your game and responding to those comments, which probably is a good expense of time PR wise, and productivity wise.

Really i mean your talking about very little time here, the complaint is almost anal.

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for the support, but I think it is time to close this thread up now. More attention has been paid to the original poster than is worth spending.

In closing... Ray, TS was always designed to be about money IMHO. Even if they weren't, they either had to sell out or they would have gone out of business much sooner than later. Us? We don't have overhead or investors to worry about, so we have no such pressure.

The fact is we have already been offered HUGE bucks (more than we can possibly get off of Web sales mind you), but we turned them down because we didn't like the control we would lose. So... we have done it before and will do it again if it comes up. However, if someone offers us a deal that gives us what we want (creative freedom, our own timeline, and just compensation), then we would be fools to pass it up if we felt assured that the contract had no loopholes (BTW, this is something we have a lot of experience spotting smile.gif). From the customer's PoV, such a deal would be a good thing too as you wouldn't have to worry about our wives/SOs pulling the plug on us or having us quit because the hours:payoff ratio isn't good enough smile.gif

Just food for thought smile.gif

Steve