Help please with video cards..

Okay, I know that a) this isn't a hardware review site and B) this has been covered before.

However, I'm going to be getting a new monitor (19" Viewsonic) and am contemplating whiffing another C-note on a card.

Trouble is, I don't have AGP, and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. So I need a good PCI card, preferable based on the TNT chip.

I've looked around but can't find many of these aminals left. One that I have found is the Elsa ErazorII, 16MB, PCI, based on the TNT chip. I've read a couple of good reviews; anybody have personal experience? They do a good job on CM/other 3D and 2D stuff?

Thanks for help.

DjB

Guest Mikeman

I'm very happy with my 19" Viewsonic G790. For some reason my Voodoo3 kicked the refresh rate up to 140. It must have been several days before I noticed it while playing around. Way above manual specs for the res I'm running, but didn't seem to hurt it.

I think any TNT 16 MB card is a fine choice for CM. I sometimes regret getting rid of mine for this Voodoo3. I gave up my 32 bit color for just a little speed.

Mikeman out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think any TNT 16 MB card is a fine choice for CM. I sometimes regret getting rid of mine for this Voodoo3. I gave up my 32 bit color for just a little speed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want the best of both worlds (fill rate and resolution) pick up a G-Force based card. I'll be looking into one of these great cards in a couple months when (hopefully) the price drops a bit and the drivers mature a bit.

Some will be waiting for the Voodoo 5 cards, but I think that they have the power and speed that might be required in a much faster system than will be available for a couple years of the stats are right. The one big kicker for me is that the G-Force will probably start discounting in Q1-2000 with mature drivers, high enough fill rate for a couple years and most importanly, all on chip accelleration (reducing CPU graphics calculations to almost nothing).

But for a hundred bucks, I'd go Voodoo 3-3000 as they have superior speed... does CM even use 32bit textures? Using a Banshee now, and it looks great.

Clay-