Was that Tommy or Tommie?

The German infantry have different uniforms SS -vs- Heer. Will this apply to the Tommies as well? It would be a nice touch to have the Brittish Parras wearing maroon berets. It would certainly look "in place" for the Arnhem battles.

------------------

Rhet

Guest KwazyDog

I must admit that would look pretty cool smile.gif Hehe, could give the US airbone troops mohawks too (just kidding, hehe). The first wargame I ever played was a board game called Storm over Arhnem when I was about 11, hehe. Ive always been interested in the battle since then smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

We do have different texture sets and models (i.e. headgear, boots, etc.) for the following (applies to all nations):

Regular Infantry

Para Infantry

AFV crews

In addition, the Germans have SS and Volkssturm texture sets as well.

Specifically, the British Paras will have Denison smocks and berets. We decided to not give them para helmets because the berets are more distinctive (plus they look MUCH cooler smile.gif).

Steve

KwazyDog:

You're a fairly young fellow. Storm Over Arnhem came out circa 1983. Avalon Hill title. It received many accolades and was very popular. It may be the first and only time they abandoned the traditional hex-map approach, choosing instead to divide the city into sectors. Of course they did that to accentuate the block to block city fighting (or should I say demolition?) that characterized the struggle.

I never played the game. I gave it to my sister's boyfriend as a Christmas gift though -- he loved it. In my own way, I love him (don't read that wrong you phobs out there!) because he turned me onto wargaming. It was AH's Waterloo, a true classic. We spent a few winter days in their cabin in Vermont "Duke"ing it out over the Belgian plain. I was Napoleon and learned the classic "soak off" technique before he did. Consequently, I took Quatre Bras early and routed him badly, cutting off Blucher's retreat from Ligny. I have been hooked since.

As I recall, the ladies (my sister and my girlfriend Natalie) were a bit incensed at how engrossed we got into the game, lol. Not much has changed since.

My sister and Brad have been split now for almost 15 years. Sure wish I could hook up with him again to get into something like CM. He was a great guy. Brad, if you are listening....

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You're a fairly young fellow. Storm Over Arnhem came out circa 1983. Avalon Hill title. It received

many accolades and was very popular. It may be the first and only time they abandoned the

traditional hex-map approach, choosing instead to divide the city into sectors. Of course they

did that to accentuate the block to block city fighting (or should I say demolition?) that

characterized the struggle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SOA is a great game.It has a much better feel for the street fighting than many a more complex game(e.g.,Squad Leader),and it is simple enough to get non wargamers to play.AH made a game based on the same system on the battle of Mt. Cassino,also good,but not to my taste as much as the Arnhem game.

And,come to think of it,they also did one using this sytem on the Stalingrad city fighting which I don't own...

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Oberly (edited 08-16-99).]

As to the Free French forces in NW Europe, what type uniforms did they have? I understand that they were heavily supplied with US weapons and equipment. But did the US provide uniforms or did they use their own French uniforms including the Poilus (?) helmet. I am guessing at least the colonial troops used traditional French uniforms and helmets but I don't know for sure. I am also curious as to whether the French Foreign Legion had distinctly different uniforms and whether any of those forces served in NW Europe or Italy. I am finding it difficult to find info on the Free French uniforms.

Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Talley (edited 08-16-99).]

Guest KwazyDog

Hehe, we must have just gotten it when it came out, as Im 25 now (hehe, and tell your wife my girlfriend liked the joke smile.gif). Funnily enough, after writing that post, I had an urge to watch the movie again on the weekend, something I havnt seen for about 8 years. It certainally was a good game, and was also not difficult to set up. Also, if I recall correctly, it had a damn nice map with it. I wasnt aware it was so well known though, and did so well. It was certainally an enjoyable play, and must have introduced me to wargames in a good way, as Ive been playing them ever since.

I remember my first computer based wargame was a product called Europe Ablaze, which is very similar to the Battle of Britian game released recently, but as it was on the C64, it was obviously nowhere near as pretty. smile.gif If I recall correctly, a couple of the guys whom are now part of SSG actaually wrote it, and I think it was an aussie product, so it may not have even hit the shelves in the states.

Ive been pretty much into wargaming ever since, and have hated the way there has been less and less titles appearing on the shelves with any substance. Fleet Command is a great example of a game that could be so much better just a little more deatil added (ie : the ability to put different weapons on you aircraft!!). Computers are so powerful today compared to what were 10 years ago it is dissapointing to see so many games that either still use the basic mechanics from back them, or are watering down deetail for the broader market. Thats why Im so interested in CM smile.gif

For those who may be interested, I just found a French site with a substantial section devoted to the 2nd French Armored Division. It has an active forum and photos. Unfortuantely, I couldn't definitely determine the type of helmets worn. I did see some generic tank crew helmets. The site is located at www.histoire.org/2gm/index.htm. It is entirely in French.

I also discovered that there was one division in France in July 44 (2 Armored Div). By Mid-August, there were 5 Divisions. And by Jan 45, there were 7 Divisions. I did find a reference to many maquis units being integrated into these newly raised divisions. Unfortunatly again I did not find a reference to equipment and uniforms used to outfit these formations. I did find one reference to tank crews of the 2nd Armored as they fought their way into Paris wearing various caps: "red calots of Spahis, blue of the Curaissiers, the fez of the Chasseurs of d'Afrique, the unmistakable pom-poms of the Fusiliers-Marins." I am not sure how much to trust that reference, unless they wore these caps simply because they were fighting into Paris. I might be able to find the info from that forum if I can relearn some of my French quickly ;(...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, if I recall correctly, it had a damn nice map with

it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I recall(permit me a bit of nostalgia smile.gif ),that map was the first unmounted map I ever bought from AH.I was disappointed at first,but the 'mapboard' style map actually worked better for that game than a regular mounted map would have-there were no gaps in the seams.I don't have the game at my house at the moment or I'd set it up-sort of have the itch to play it now. smile.gif

Mike

Guest KwazyDog

Umm, unmounted, thats a new term to me smile.gif ? I still have the fully boxed set at home, hehe, even with all of the counter I beleive. It is something I still get out from time to time for a taste of the good old days, hehe.

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 08-16-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Ken,

The Free French in NW Europe were equipped with US clothing, small arms, and vehicles. However! Various bits of their old uniforms were worn as a mark of national honor and pride on an individual basis. Helmets appear to have been the most common relic from 1940. The Polish units in NW Europe also were clothed and armed with US stuff (exclusively?), though the Poles still in Italy retained their British stuff.

Steve

I too have a copy of Storm Over Arnhem (somewhere). It has been packed up for many years like most of my other bookshelf games. I think I played it twice. The problem is that I more or less stared out with Squad Leader (that is if you do not count Ploy or Feudal). It is good to see other people reminise over past games. I hope that CM will bring about these same type of stories many years from now. I think the appeal of those earlier games lies not only with the time invested in playing it (learning rules, setting up & playing) but also the quality time spent with a friend in friendly competition.

------------------

Rhet