Forward Observor

FO2.jpg

The above image is for the German FO in the CM:BN CW "My Honour is Loyalty" scenario. The matchup for the Nebelwerfer is poor, the 105mm is satisfactory and the 81mm is good.

The obvious question - how do I improve the matchup for the Nebelwerfer and 105mm?

Initially I thought the FO may have broken the C2 link, but there are no superior HQ listed (normally this appears below the image of Protzner). I am presuming the scenario author has implemented the matchup this way to manipulate the time delay between mission request and arrival on target?

The CM Game Engine V2.11 manual also mentions different shapes for the matchups but I presume this idea has been dropped.

Initially I thought the FO may have broken the C2 link, but there are no superior HQ listed (normally this appears below the image of Protzner).

That may be the problem. If the FO shares no superior HQ with the artillery, then the connection is likely to be poor, I'm thinking, with the FO not having a very high priority with the batteries. I always try to remember to subordinate my FOs and batteries to the same HQ.

Michael

I always thought the 'matchup' was fixed and related to the unit that requests the artillery. Meaning that an FO will get (much) faster response times than a mere HQ unit in relation to that 'matchup.'

BTW, that Nebelwerfer icon means 'bad.' 'Poor' uses the red icon and can only be requested by FO's.

The lack of different shapes is due to my UI mod you're using. Other than being cosmetic the shapes did not really have a function; the color tells it all.

I think you guys are referring to Matchup Rating, Pg. 102 in CMBN Manual:

Matchup rating - Depending on how urgently Support is needed, the Matchup

rating (see next section “Support Roster”) may be critically important. The

Matchup value reflects the difficulty a specific Spotter has in getting in touch

with a specific asset and securing permission to use it. A Platoon HQ will

have difficulties reaching a Regimental howitzer battery, for example. In fact,

in some cases, such requests may be outright denied. If this is the case, then

“Denied” is shown in the Support Roster on the affected asset.

Matchup - in the upper right hand corner is a symbol representing how well

the Spotter and Support Asset are matched for each other. There are five

states, color coded as follows: Excellent (green circle) , Good (green triangle)

, average (yellow square) , poor (red triangle) , and bad (-)

.. The better the match the more efficient and effective the results will be.

"The CM Game Engine V2.11 manual also mentions different shapes for the matchups but I presume this idea has been dropped" - Jack Raton

I will have to check and see if the game displays different shapes. It may be the mod you are using.

Thanks for the extracts Chops.

Juju mentioned his mods exclude the matchup "shapes".

Juju also mentioned that he thought the matchup was "fixed". I had a look at this and believe he is correct.

In summary, the matchup cannot be improved. It reflects a "time band" (response time) it takes for the artillery piece to get rounds onto the target. Where in the "time band" depends on the factors of the calling unit.

I presume it can degrade, if the FO is downgraded from OK, a member of the FO team is killed, etc.