Carentan's Bailey Bridge

I am wondering if BF is considering Bailey's bridges worth being among the others. I think that they will add a touch of realism. Some might object that they were not present during an attack. That is for sure, but Engineers were launching them very quickly enabling the tanks, trucks and artillery tractors to move forward at a short time notice.

So it would not be unusual to see a Bailey bridge in a scenario in which forces will defend previously won grounds.

Here after is one that can be seen near the Carentan canal in Normandy. I don't know if it was built during the Carentan battle, since many of these were built in the following months and or year to follow in order to restore quickly the bridges on the road network.

There are not too many of them left around in Normandy and that one seems to have been forgotten and to my knowledge seems to have not been listed in different blogs I have read.

locationBaileybridge_zpsd95bf477.jpg[/uring include Bailey's bridges

DSC04225_zpsa7c5d6ca.jpg

DSC04219_zps907dbe2e.jpg

DSC04221_zpsc0423ba2.jpg

Fabulous! But it looks like its days are numbered due to corrosion. One would hope that it can be preserved somewhere, but it better be soon before the thing collapses.

BTW, there was another bridge in the lodgment area in use for forty years that had been built over an AVRE driven into the river to serve as a support for an improvised span. The bridge was dismantled about 30 years ago and the AVRE recovered and restored. I believe it is now on display in Normandy.

Michael

Interesting - thanks for sharing the photo's.

It is amazing to me that the bridge is still in use, that has ben there a long time.

As for the shape it is in, actually it is in very good shape. I am a structural engineer and beleive me for the age of that bridge. it has been taken care of.

Yes presently you see a little rust, but it just needs cleaned and a paint job.

What looks bad is the bolts and such, a common problem with something like this. That is also a maintanance item where they can replace the hardware and be as good as new.

There is many other factors as to why I find it cool that it still is in use.

Anyway, it appears to me that it has been and is likely being preserved and is understood to be a historical bridge.

@Michael Emrys and Slysniper

I have not heard about that AVRE (Armored Vehicle Recovery) used as a foundation for a bridge span. But I know that such improvised anchor for launching a bridge have been used by Engineers in combat situation. They were not however used on a long term basis.

In France the "Ponts & Chaussees" would not have allowed it to remain after the war.

Whales (the articulated bridge linking the Mulberry to the beaches) were used and some remain today, in France and Netherland from what I have seen.. See the picture. They are used as a bridge span.

APolishtankmovingonwhalesspan_zpsf729fec2.jpg

WhalespanatArromanches_zps4fc69e8b.jpg

WhalesspanatOmaha_zps24f77b23.jpg

The Carentan's Bailey Bridge is currently controlled by the competent authorities and it is in a pretty good shape for its age. As an Engineer, I fully agree with the comments of Slysniper.

Just a comment about the paint. I have seen over the years, Bailey's parts painted olive grab but also some painted in a Navy grey.

If someone knows the story of that bridge that would be interesting and maybe surprising.

Not far from it in the canal harbour, there is another surprise, a LCVP fully restored ( see the 2 pictures). It is one from the 1944 days still sea worthy. It is participating since a year or two at the June D-Day ceremonies.

LCVPHigginsboat-1_zps335b5b4b.jpg

Some years ago I knew Mark Bailey, grandson of the inventor/designer. In family tradition he had joined the Royal Engineers.

On one army river crossing exercise he duly placed the eponymous bridge; but too close to the river bank edges which promptly collapsed leaving the bridge on the river bed. So he roared off to the quartermaster; deviously requisitioned another bridge; dumped it on top of the first; and thus got his men across to complete the exercise. One happy young officer. One really pissed off quartermaster.