Tanks firing main gun and riding troops

Guest Big Time Software

The back deck of most tanks could hold a 12 man squad. I've seen pictures of Panthers with even more men (closer to 20 IIRC). HOWEVER, we don't allow that smile.gif The answer to your question is that the guys have to be in very unsafe densities and often time standing even. In any case, it is VERY dangerous to have men on a vehicle when it is taking fire, and therefore units automatically jump off when this happens. Unfortunately, mortars and HMGs are left behind in the rush!

I do not know about men hopping off if the tank is firing its main weapon. Since both Allied and German docrtine officially forbid infantry from riding on tanks (because of safety problems) so far as I know, there wouldn't be a standard practice for when to jump off.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Ah, that would explain it smile.gif In theory, men should jump off if the vehicle is turreted and the turret swings 180 towards the back of the vehicle. But this is not likely to happen in CM since the chances of a surprise rear attack like that are slim, and the chance that the infantry would still be on even slimmer. Not worth coding up.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>In any case, it is VERY dangerous to have men on a vehicle when it is taking fire, and therefore units automatically jump off when this happens. Unfortunately, mortars and HMGs are left behind in the rush!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately I found this out the hard way playing Riesberg for the first time. I lost two 60mm mortars when my Shermans came under fire from some German MGs.

Jason

Guest Charles

Speaking of riding troops and mortar teams: I'm playing a solo game and one of my Sherman's was disabled by a front turrent penetration (not burning). No troops were on it at the time.

Then, I got the idea of placing my mortar team on the back of the tank in order to get a better view of the battlefield. However, when I tried to place a movement path on to the tank, it refused to allow me to embark. Looking back on this, I guess it makes sense not to allow mortar teams on the backs of disabled tanks, because you can't fire the mortar from there. However, what about artillery spotters? Seems to me they should be allowed to perch on the back of a tank even after it has been disabled so they can get a better view. Is this allowed by CM?

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 12-02-99).]

I have absolutely no data on WW2 tanks in this regard but the overpressure from a 120mm tank gun can kill a man within a 90 degree arc of the front of the tank out to 200 meters. Discarded sabots from tank rounds can be lethal between 200-1000 meters.

SO it's probabbly not that healthy to be hanging out in front of a firing ww2 tank either. (just a guess)

Los