Avanti! BigDork vs Penry - Italian Domination

24:00 - 23:00

Well I called it. I spot a M3 GMC hanging out near Bridge Z01. It's not a Sherman so thank God for that. I do have to be cautious and pay respect to the 75mm gun the thing has bolted to the top of it.

ry8f.jpg

And moments later I'm reminded why I need to respect the gun, if not what's driving it around. A single shot is all it takes to remove one of my R35s from the battle. The crew survives which is great but the loss of this tank hurts and sets back my hopes of regaining momentum.

payf.jpg

Planning

The plan is to destroy the GMC. Until I can, my tanks are in danger... my men are in danger... my hopes of winning this battle are in danger.

326r.jpg

And here's an overhead look of things.

87jz.jpg

23:00 - 22:00

One of my R35s fires its machine gun at the GMC but not the main gun. Bullets plink off the armor causing no damage, much to my chagrin. Before my tank can take a real shot the American half track drives out of LOS and my hopes of an easy kill are squashed.

4ye2.jpg

I had forgotten that I had ordered one of my tanks to pull up alongside the, un-destroyed at the time, R35 down the road from BS. I don't regain LOS on the M3 but it gets some LOS on my R35. The end results are to be expected. I've now lost two tanks to this thing and I'm not very happy about it. (And yes, this is the hill where I lost 2 STuGs and a R35 last battle. I'm staying away from here from now on!)

am4x.jpg

I wouldn't call it revenge but it's something. And I sure need just about anything to go even slightly my way at this point. One of my infantry units in the woods near BN starts firing on a half track located at the Farm. A few bullets make it in the uncovered top but from what I can tell there are no casualties caused. The half track is forced to pull forward a bit though. Take that Americans! You waste that gas!

iwjn.jpg

Planning

I'm almost done clearing out the woods near BN. From there I can begin moving them towards Bridge Z02. Hopefully by then I will have taken it. I have given orders for a few units to start opening up on the foxholes on the other side of the bridge from my men. 30 seconds into the next turn one of my units will begin assaulting across to seize the other side. Hopefully the defenders will have their heads down.

Knowing how this battle has been going for me, that's not gonna happen.

It seems that you became the victim of the R35's engaging with their least effective weapon again, you'd almost start to think it's a genuine bug. Last game, they fired mostly HE. this time, only the MG.

Another by now familiar event is an enemy vehicle (in this case even without a turret) having all the time to move somewhere, aim and fire a shot before the targeted vehicle even responds (although in this case one of the R35's was firing on some foxholes, so that probably caused the lack of a response).

It's becoming a bit strange. In most wargames, the defending vehicles have the advantage. Here, the opposite seems to be the case.

Good luck with dealing with the SPG's in any case, pity you don't have more mortars to ruin their day as the crewmen don't have an umbrella.