What would cause this behavior of infantry?

Playing a CM:MG 2.10 real time quick battle single player on defense as British versus attack by Waffen SS. There was an issue that arose with a rifle platoon in houses in one of the victory locations, I ordered them to strengthen a flank as the Waffen SS were hitting it hard but only 2 units did as ordered a section and mortar team. However the others would not move I tried multiple times to order them to flank or merely move outside but they wouldn't exit the building. They weren't to my knowledge pinned I checked, one section said cautious. There were not under fire. Any ideas?

No door in the direction you ordered them to exit, perhaps?

In older versions of CM, building exits were abstracted, but in CMx2 they are explicit. If you order a movement that is physically impossible because in would entail going through a solid wall, the men will just ignore their crazy CO and sit tight.

Don't the units pathfind a route out? I'm sure I've done this to my cost when telling a unit to exit to the rear of the building, and they ran out the front door into enemy fire. When I checked, there was no back door, so they were just trying to follow my stupid order. To their cost, unfortunately.

Shame they can't jump out of windows, I suppose that'd be hard to code?