Original Soviet AKM

Nice weapon, Baron. And lovingly maintained, it appears. One reads that there's considerable support for liberalizing gun laws in Russia:

Right to bear arms -- in Russia?

POSTED BY DAVID HARDY · 14 AUGUST 2005 04:20 PM

An interesting article from the Russian News and Information Agency, on liberalizing Russian gun laws. (How strange that sounds to those of us who grew up during the Cold War! Almost as strange as reading an article about Europeans calling for adoption of American gun laws, so they can defend themselves). The writer notes that Russian law allows only possession of a few types of guns, with permit processes that make New York City sound easy, but, still, at least 10 times as many Russians own guns as they did under the Soviet regime.

"[T]he public in Russia is increasingly leaning towards a more liberal law on weapons. For the last half a year the State Duma has been discussing the possibility of giving the people real firearms, as is done in the United States, for one.

American statistics are the main argument of Russian firearms advocates. According to the U.S. Justice Department, 34% of all criminals were wounded or detained by armed civilians, while 40% have altogether given up an idea of an attack for fear of reciprocal fire. In those states that allow citizens to carry concealed arms, the level of murders is lower by 33 %, and of robberies by 37%.

Advocates of legalizing firearms in Russia often refer to the experience of neighboring Latvia: After the relevant law was adopted, street crime dropped by 80%, and the Latvian police force has been cut."

Childress,

Hadn't seen those DOJ numbers, but I like them! Have long been aware, though that criminals universally agree that they hate and fear the possibility of instant karma at the hands of an armed citizen. There's a huge difference between a death sentence, with a 20-year wait, and a bullet in the heart now.

Michael Emrys,

Taser, tear gas, clubbing the back of the head with a replica pistol's butt? Like you, I have no idea what a "traumatic pistol" is. Speaking as someone who's stared down the barrel of a derringer and a cop's .357, both loaded, I can assure you that such encounters are indeed traumatic.

Regards,

John Kettler

In Russia traumatic pistols it's pistols with rubber bullets with maximum barrel energy of 90 joules, of course you can have gas pistols and pneumatics pistols.

Some Russian traumatic pistols was converted to traumatic from old soviet battle pistols like TT or Makarov, of course intelligent Russian people simply reconverted they again to battle pistols, they just change barrels, now that pistols is out of market((((((((

Taser, tear gas, clubbing the back of the head with a replica pistol's butt? Like you, I have no idea what a "traumatic pistol" is. Speaking as someone who's stared down the barrel of a derringer and a cop's .357, both loaded, I can assure you that such encounters are indeed traumatic.

I've been under the barrel of a gun twice, as well. The first time was in a Los Angeles liquor store in the 70s, late at night. There were 6 or 7 customers. A skinny, diminutive Hispanic dude entered brandished a pistol and shouted out 'everybody on the floor!' We complied. I noticed he was busy going customer to customer demanding to see their wallets. My wallet was in my hand so I surreptitiously removed several twenties and stuffed them in my pants, leaving a few ones in the billfold. He finally got to me and stuck his gun, hands trembling, against my temple. I handed him the wallet. He grabbed the ones, tossed the wallet and left. Most lunatic thing I've ever done. :)

The second time my ex-wife and I were strolling in our middle class, low crime neighborhood also late at night. We're were getting ready to buy a car and stopped to check out a 4Runner parked in a driveway a few houses down. A white guy came roaring out of the house with a shotgun, yelling 'Freeze!'. We froze. He eventually let us go. Turns out he was an off duty LA cop. We wondered whether the fact that my wife was half-African set him off.