House Piercing

I was a little desperate and fired a cannon (AP ammo) against a house with troops inside.I was surprised, because the projectile pierced the house and destroyed a vehicle that was behind and I did not know it was there (I saw a column of smoke out behind the building )

I've done some tests with the editor, but I'm not very good and I do not find all calibers of guns. Could anyone help? I'd like to know what AP calibers can pass a house and what not.For example,this 37mm allied canon can do this...

dhvh.jpg

djlr.jpg

I just want to know something general.Those caliber can penetrate houses and those do not. As in this message of Seamountanda and reponse from c3k(post 5)http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=108931&highlight=friendly+fire

I have done a search with the tool, but have not found anything specifically for this topic.I apologize if this has already been discussed and I ask you please a link to this topic if it already exists.

Off-topic: Could it be a tool that automatically synchronizes CM versions of players, without having to have multiple versions on my computer?Thank you for you reponse Ian.leslie (post 309)http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=110941&page=31

Thank you all. I like both this game and the community that plays this game.Moders, people making scenarios, testers, technical support, helpers, discussions, trolling, etc. :D

Best regards

Thing is every situation is different. What guns can shoot through a house or not is also dependent on other factors : type of building - distance - type of round used - angle to building... to name a few.

Generally larger caliber guns have a better chance, but a key detail is the L designation, or length of the gun barrel. A longer barrel will produce a higher velocity round, thus making it more efficient for AT use, and more likely to go through a building. Generally Brit 6 lbers are high velocity, 17 lbers are fantastic high velocity. Even the Brit 2 lber (40mm) I noticed will KO Pz IV's from the front. The German 88 is great, probably the best all around tank gun the Germans have. The Panthers high velocity 75 is the best AT gun in the game, the 17lber close behind. (The 88 is better IMO all around, it does AT just fine, but does HE way better than the Panther)

For the US the 76 on Shermans, and the 76 on M10s is more high velocity and suited for AT work or buildings. (if you want a chance of passing thru) the 75 Shermans are notably less good against a lot of German armor, however are much deadlier against infantry.

The German long 75 is a lot better, imo, than the US 75, though the short 75 on Pz IIIM's sucks. the short 75 infantry gun is fine against infantry, pretty lame otherwise. Same with the short 75 on US M8s. All the short 75s will almost definitely not pass through a building. The only gun lighter than 75's that has a chance at all (AFAIK) would be 6lbers, US 57mms (doubtful...) and German 50mms (doubtful as well..) Though of course smaller buildings mean higher chances. The 50 cal and 37mm and below I seriously doubt would go through a building at all.

Yes, if the house is targetted it will use HE. The AP thing is trickier. The question is in the game, in real life obviously it would. I'm not sure to be honest - in game I've seen 88 or hi 75 rounds go through a few halftracks, or KO 2 shermans. This really makes me wonder if the game models 1. decreasing energy as shot moves through target and 2. deformities caused in the round that may affect its path

Well in my quickie test with all the available german AT-guns (and the flak88) they all fired straight through a church plus the 8 story large building i placed behind it to "catch" the AP-round.

Not once was the roudn stopped by either building.

Oddly enough tho, when it cam out the back of the building almost all of the rounds came out as a "burst" of rounds first, but then only impacted once.

Its hard to explain, but it looked like someone had fired a 20mm cannon burst, but only the last one hit the ground.

You're now getting into the realm of building construction and resistance to different types of ballistics-something I doubt a small indy company can afford to model and program into a simulation.

There was a sim by SPI that went into this. The rules book and some of the detailed background were interesting reading. It was called Cityfight:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cityfight-/111136902936?pt=Games_US&hash=item19e0468f18

I wouldn't doubt the advanced training given to select individuals in the military still cover this.

Well in my quickie test with all the available german AT-guns (and the flak88) they all fired straight through a church plus the 8 story large building i placed behind it to "catch" the AP-round.

Not once was the roudn stopped by either building.

Oddly enough tho, when it cam out the back of the building almost all of the rounds came out as a "burst" of rounds first, but then only impacted once.

Its hard to explain, but it looked like someone had fired a 20mm cannon burst, but only the last one hit the ground.

You're now getting into the realm of building construction and resistance to different types of ballistics-something I doubt a small indy company can afford to model and program into a simulation.

There was a sim by SPI that went into this. The rules book and some of the detailed background were interesting reading. It was called Cityfight:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cityfight-/111136902936?pt=Games_US&hash=item19e0468f18

I wouldn't doubt the advanced training given to select individuals in the military still cover this.

Never said they should simulate it.

I'm just answering the OP's question and it seems all cannons can penetrate more than one building with AP ammo.

My bad.

It does seem a bit odd that all cannons can penetrate more than one building. A mud or wood hut maybe, but a stone one IDK. It is good to know, but I would feel a little guilty exploiting it in a game if I shot an opponents tank that was behind a couple of buildings. Then again you could argue the shot when through a couple of windows before hitting the tank! :D

Never said they should simulate it.

I'm just answering the OP's question and it seems all cannons can penetrate more than one building with AP ammo.

Thanks for all your reponses in especial to OddballE8 "Tack så mycket!" :D

So, acording to your tests (in general) caliber up to 50 mm can pierce a house, even two of them. And calibers down this can pierce only one house...Thanks!

It will be great if we could select voluntarily the ammo to use, in this case AP

"So you,moron, hides your tank behind a house? Jah!Jah! Change to AP ammo guys!BAZINGA!"

Best regards and good week-end!

I never tested calibers below 50mm... might be that they go right through too...

Its an easy test to set up in the editor.

Just plonk a couple of cannons/vehicles down and plonk an 8 story modular building behind an individual church (small one) and stat firing at the church... see which shells go throug (spend your HE chells on the ground tho, so you dont weaken the buildings)