I think the AI is pretty weak or I must be misunderstanding something. I am pretty new to the game, but already TOTALY won the two scenarios I played: the Russian Civil War as Whites and the world war 1 scenario as Entente.

I really totaly owned the AI, in ww1 I almost took Berlin with Russians, but revolt in Germany happened before that. Austrians couldn't do anything to Serbs.

France wasn't even invaded, Germans were stopped in Belgium and by 1915 the war was mostly on German soil.

I won in 1916.

I turned off quick logic for the ww1 scenario after I totaly owned Reds in Russian Civil War, thinking it will improve AI somehow, however I didn't notice many changes.

I know, I used beginner level difficulty, however, according to the manual, it doesn't affect the AI, rather it lets the AI "cheat" which I don't like, I want a fair game.

So, the question is: is AI really that weak or am I missing something?

I have breakthrough v1.02.

Hi Aikei

One thing about the lower difficulty settings is that the AI is more cautious about guarding places than us humans are, so it is easier to defeat because some of its units, that we might have had in the field so to speak, it will use to garrison positions that might be potentially threatened. The higher levels give it greater income, so it can better afford to buy units for both garrisoning potential threats and also for fighting in the front line.

I would suggest trying upping the difficulty levels until you find what's right for you.

Thanks for your reply Bill! I will try a higher difficulty.

Can you tell me if disabling quick logic improves AI somehow, or is it just a matter of speed (which is unlikely, I suppose)?

Hi, disabling it does improve some of the AI's routines, so for the best AI performance this is recommended, though it will be at some cost to the AI's speed.

You can always play a few turns with it disabled to see how much of a difference speed wise it makes, and if the turns aren't taking too long then leave it disabled.

Is there a general recommended difficulty and experience level to set the AI at?

I think that if you've mastered the general game mechanics, then ramping up the difficulty will give the most challenging game so even if you get beaten, it will inspire thoughts to improve your own gameplay, hence leading to a second round!

That would be me anyway!

Hi Aikei,

If you get the chance to try the 1914 Ostaufmarsch campaign I think you'll find the overall balance improved there as Germany decidedly splits its forces in favour of the Russian front for this campaign.

That being said, we have improved the balance for the AI in the 1914 Call To Arms campaign as well as improved the AI for the RCW campaign for the next v1.03 patch which we are in the process of finalizing as we speak.

There are also a considerable number of general AI combat improvements that I think you'll notice a much more efficient AI when on the attack and defence, but especially on the attack as it incorporates many of the refinements we've implemented for the new Assault on Communism and Assault on Democracy expansions.

I hope this helps and happy gaming :)

Hubert