New file at the Repository: GL - Bloody Beachtown (2013-05-29)

Ian,

No difference, I was just unsure if it had uploaded or not, so I re-uploaded, adding the GL prefix. The other (non-GL file) is now deleted to keep things organized.

You're the commander of the British airborne company. Early this morning, a recon patrol from your troop came under fire from forces unknown operating in town. You've been assigned to clear them out:

702.png

You have 3 objectives: The town center, the winery and an outlying church. The Winery holds a dominating field of fire into the town, so occupying it will be the main objective:

952.png

You have at your command a well armed half company of airborne infantry. Lots of sten guns, lots of demo packs, lots of firepower. Remember that Brit paratroop squads carry 2" smoke mortars. Use them:

244.png

First real attempt at a proper scenario, came together pretty well overall. One thing I'm still not too competent with is AI plans. Just need to put some time into the editor and test scenarios to get a better feel for how to best work with the AI plan maker; how to bring out the best of the system to make an enjoyable , challenging vs AI scenario..

I would like this to be the first of many scenarios, with the final goal of an Ortona Canadian vs AI campaign. I really enjoyed the few narrative campaigns made for CMBN like "Devils Descent". A brutal Ortona street slog would be a good backdrop for a interesting narrative, and would keep the focus on infantry actions. That's the scope I feel this game excels at simulating: 1 (or less!) Company infantry engagements.

One thing I learned while building this scenario is how door placement on buildings can have a drastic effect on gameplay... Units routing out from buildings will run in any direction, be it perpendicular to the enemy, or strait at them. Careful positioning of doors in occupied buildings can force a routing AI to retreat along safe covered paths, away from the advancing player.