Smoke beside buildings end up in the building

That's what I've been doing. The problem is that the smoke ends up in the building that I am adjacent to, if I am positioned right beside a building.

Looks like a problem with the action spot to me. So that the action spot you want to throw at is in the building. Maybe you should throw farther or besides the spot?

Give the unit you want to throw smoke a Face command first, with the face axis pointing where you want the smoke grenades to land. Then Pop Smoke, and the smoke grenades should go where you want them.

Correct, this is the only way to help units throw their smoke where you want it. I have seen them ignore that command though and throw it the direction they were facing before that at times.

Fed: have you been using the FACE target order first, then been giving the SMOKE command? I have never had a failure to place smoke in the direction I've ordered if I've done just that.

Remember, the guy with the smoke grenade may be the guy covering the unit's 6 o'clock. If you just say "Smoke, out!" then whoever has it will just chuck it. If you order, "Smoke the road in front of us!" then that's what'll happen. The difference is whether or not you give a FACE command first. (Also, without a FACE command, the unit is free to shift as it sees fit. So your SMOKE may show a purple line at 2 o'clock when you order it, but the guy with the smoke may turn to 6 o'clock in the next few seconds.)

Let us know how it works with the preparatory command FACE given first.

Ken