More wierd infantry behavior

Rex

Last night I played Reisberg as the Germans. Towards the end of the scenerio, I managed to get two infantry squads and a leader behind the last US tank. I expected to see some cool fireworks when both teams opened up with panzerfausts (they both had two left), but they wouldn't! They just sat and stared at the thing! Even when I targeted the thing on the next several turns, they wouldn't shoot at it!

I don't understand this behavior at all. One of the squads was 'green', but the other was 'regular', and they both had a leader nearby. The tank was only 80m away, certainly close enough for a shot. Can anyone explain this reaction to me?

What was the actual status of both units? Alerted, Pinned, Cautioius, etc.????????? Might make a big difference on whether they are willing to engage a tank, or not. Although I can infer from your post that they were OK??? If so, then it is difficult to understand why they wouldn't shoot.

Mike D

aka Mikester

They were OK, and nearly full strength,when they first saw the tank. After the tank fired at them for a few rounds they became pinned and one even eventually panicked.

It made no difference in this game, but I'd like to understand their behavior for future reference.

Guest Big Time Software

Rex, very hard to say why they didn't let loose. Range is generally the big factor, LOS is of course a standard one. The TacAI is very capable of firing PFs without you designating a target, so not having targeted the tank isn't an issue here. Other than that I really can't say without having seen what happened.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, infantry would often use the PF against soft targets. We have kept the circumstances so that it won't happen too often though. This was one major gripe from CC2 days.

Just remember that range is VERY important. A PF60 only has a little less than 60m of effective range. I'm pretty sure your guys had PF100s, which is slightly less than 100m.

Steve