Re: LOVE THE GAME

Yep. You.re right. I'd be surprised if they differed on battle size but now I'm going to look when I get home. I seriously seem to recall playing (maybe they were medium or large) several QBs against someone on the same map. I always would get about 1-2 tanks and a reinforced company vs his 4-5 tanks and 2-3 companies.

Perhaps you picked Vet/High/+1 troops (on D) while your opponent had Green/Low/-1 troops. Or even just picked low crew quality for all his vehicles while having parity for his infantry, which would potentially make for a 2-2.5:1 numbers advantage in vehicles from a 1.8:1 points advantage. Or he didn't have any arty.

Still my point stands, though the ratio isn't near as bad as I made out...

Which for me makes your point nugatory:

...in real life attackers don't always get the 3:1 ratio many think necessary to win. In QBs attackers do...

As we've seen, they get less than 2:1. How many "factor" wargames have 2:1 being the "50/50" column for results resolution? Most of the ones I've played, because, just like 3:1 is "generally considered" a fairly safe attacking bet, 2:1 odds is rather more dicey. And dicey is what you're after.

Also as it is now fortifications don't work as well as in real life...

So don't use them. They cost points; if you don't think they're worth the points, buy more of what you think will be a force multiplier that's cost-effective. This isn't a fault of offense/defense QBs - you don't get any free fortifications as part of the "being a defender" deal like you used to (IIRC) in CMx1.

...nor are ATG's as easily hidden...

I really think people are just doing this wrong. ATGs can be vicious stealthy murderers.

Timmy I think the best way to learn CM is to play a human opponent. Not just play him and get your ass kicked, but play him and have a dialogue going about whats happening, and questions you have.

That's certainly an excellent way to learn. To a small extent, you can do this solo using hotseat, but I'd never suggest it was as good as a two hander...

I went and looked in BNv1.11, for a "Huge" battle (I'd be surprised if the proportions differ dependent on battle size):

Type - Attack/Defend

Asslt - 9342/5076

Attck - 8986/5432

Probe - 8631/5787

ME - 7209/7209

Are you sure you've not got a force adjustment left over from a previous game? :)

I have seen it mentioned on this forum that it seems in PBEMs the attacker wins the lion's share of games, although I do not recall if they were referring to QBs or scenarios. Those ratios work out to 1.84 to 1 for assault, 1.65 to 1 for attack and 1.49 to 1 for probe. That compares to QB ratios in CMX1 of 1.72:1, 1.5:1 and 1.4:1 respectively.