Japan at war with USSR

I am playing a game as Axis versus AI and Japan has just conquered China - it is a modified standard scenario but I have not changed any war entry aspects for Japan or USSR. I got a message saying that Germany could now use Chinese teritory and subsequently I discovered that Japan was at war with USSR. USSR is anyway on its final capital and would hardly make a sensible decision to add to its troubles.

I have looked at the Decision Events and I cannot see one that says USSR should DOW Japan if she conquers China. What am I missing - is it just the territory enter permission to Germany and if so should this not be a DE under player control?

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike

I've taken a look and there is a script for the Allied AI to declare war with the USSR on Japan if Soviet units get to within 3 tiles of Berlin, i.e. for a situation where Germany should be in trouble.

The conditions are that the USA, USSR and China are all Allied, and the USA is at war with Japan.

Could this condition have been met during the game?

Hi Bill,

I had this situation many times in games against the Allied AI. It happens every time Japan conquers China, as long Germany is at war with USSR.

Never were Soviet units within 3 tiles of Berlin.

This was even so in the very first release of the game before GOLD.

Hi Bill

It is the same for me as Amona - the USSR units are nowhere near Berlin in fact the SU is losing badly and her units are grouped near her final capital.

I think it probably is a side effect of the territory entry event although it might be because some remnant USA air units were in Northern China and could have fled into USSR territory. I remember something like this before when US units operating out of USSR started to attack Japanese units in China.

Regards

Mike