Quick question on artillery and spotters

simast

I have plotted an artillery mission with one of my HQ teams. Now the time is way past overdue and the spotting rounds keep falling (10 spotting rounds fired already). Should I just abort? This is Italian artillery, which takes way to much time to try a new mission again..

I haven't moved the HQ squad nor did it suffer any casualties. And since I was able to plot the line I assumed they will be able to see the spotting rounds. Is the mission DUD?

I haven't moved the HQ squad nor did it suffer any casualties. And since I was able to plot the line I assumed they will be able to see the spotting rounds. Is the mission DUD?

But *can* the spotter see where the rounds fell? To make corrections they need to see where the spotting rounds fall. Get down to eye level with the spotter, with the tress on, and see if you can see the spotting rounds. Then test with the targeting tool to see if they can see the place the spotting rounds fell.

AIUI, there's some leeway in spotting beyond being able to see ground zero of the splash; the blast of the larger calibres is visible over some of the lower intervening obstacles, even trees, IIRC. But if it's behind a hill, you're SOL until the battery walks the rounds into sight of the spotter.

Make sure you've not put the spotting HQ team on "Hide", either.

One thing you could try is to "adjust" the mission (which you can do in the spotting phase), which will, to some extent reset the spotting rounds and might bring the errant shooter back on reservation.

I choose to remain in the same position for another turn (doing nothing from my side) and the mission is now go-ahead. I think what happened is: because of the range and trees and because of the relatively small 65mm Italian artillery rounds - the spotters might have missed a couple of rounds and had to take that extra time.