Can't unlicense Nato...

When I try it says:

First stage of unlicensing could not complete!

Unlicense pending failed with error code 31.

The system identifier used to generate the license for this system cannot be retrieved.

The license cannot be unlicensed.

So, I'm about to swap out motherboard, cpu, memory, graphics card, and optical drive on this computer. When I switched to SSD's I got the same error but didn't post here about it and had to request an additional activation which I received with a note about being sure to unlicense prior to uninstalling. I am going to proceed with the machine upgrade and trust in the good graces of BF, but I'd like to know what is causing this problem so I can avoid it in the future.

Okay, well the hardware changes affected CMBN and CMFI but not CMSF so I have access to the game. But... if I want to unlicense it in the future I appear to be unable to do so. So, I submitted a Low Priority ticket and am hoping for a resolution at some point in the future.

You originally swapped in some SSDs and you originally had a problem with the NATO activation, is that correct ? Through the helpdesk you got situated again (I assume a 'reset' of the license key) and now when you attempt to unlicense you get the 'error code 31' ? No changes (beyond the earlier SSDs) have been made BEFORE you attempted to unlicense, is that correct ?

I don't have specific information on this error code (so much seems undocumented with eLicense), but from the text of the error that you are given it appears as if the computer's hardware/OS "fingerprint" doesn't quite match what is on file within the license server for the current activation. I'm not sure how accurate that may be, but it seems to be the license server's view of the situation.

I assume at this point that we will need to reset your license key to allow for another activation (unless Martin knows of something else). Once this is done attempt to relicense only AFTER you have made all your planned changes to the computer (the same goes for CMBN and CMFI, wait until you have completed ALL changes before re-activating).

You originally swapped in some SSDs and you originally had a problem with the NATO activation, is that correct ? Through the helpdesk you got situated again (I assume a 'reset' of the license key) and now when you attempt to unlicense you get the 'error code 31' ? No changes (beyond the earlier SSDs) have been made BEFORE you attempted to unlicense, is that correct ?

I don't have specific information on this error code (so much seems undocumented with eLicense), but from the text of the error that you are given it appears as if the computer's hardware/OS "fingerprint" doesn't quite match what is on file within the license server for the current activation. I'm not sure how accurate that may be, but it seems to be the license server's view of the situation.

I assume at this point that we will need to reset your license key to allow for another activation (unless Martin knows of something else). Once this is done attempt to relicense only AFTER you have made all your planned changes to the computer (the same goes for CMBN and CMFI, wait until you have completed ALL changes before re-activating).

Your assertions are correct... as of right now I'm not planning any future changes, however, if the DRM allows me to unlicense, making changes should not matter if I unlicense prior to making the change, n'est pas?

Also, and I've always been somewhat confused by this, I haven't tried to unlicense the other 2 modules or the base game. My understanding is I will never need to use the base game license as long as I install a module with it. Should I try to unlicense the other modules and base game?

You will want to unlicense the other modules, since they are separate licenses with their own activation count. If they are not unlicensed then when you attempt to install them and activate them somewhere else you will run into an 'error 11' - no activations available.

If you install the base game and DO NOT license it, then a module that gets installed and activated will activate the base game. Therefore the base game does not and cannot be unlicensed in this situation. If you HAVE licensed the base game, then you may want to go through the additional steps to possibly unlicense it and then not licensing it in the future (or only when you want to run it by itself without modules).

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to move CMSF to My Documents which meant I had to uninstall it, which I did. I was able to unlicense everything except the base game and Nato. When I reinstalled I followed the Helpdesk instructions, licensing the base game with the Marines license. Interestingly enough, the Nato module didn't ask to be licensed yet I have full access to it.

As far as I'm aware you could have simply copied the files to the 'My Documents' directory (if this is the same computer, operating system and user account). There should have been no need to unlicense the game, uninstall it and reinstall it.

If a module is NOT unlicensed, then it remains activated, even if you uninstall the module. Assuming that there are no changes to the computer or operating system, you can reinstall without having to reactivate the license key again.

If you're moving the game to a different computer, different operating system or possibly a different user account, then you WILL want to unlicense the game/modules.