Mad Dog Mod Packs

I didn't see any Mad Dog mod packs in the CMBO section of http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods

I do have them on disk somewhere (if you can't find on-line elsewhere I'll go searching for my disk), but frankly they were published in 2000 and things (even for CMBO) carried on improving for a good few years after that, and some of the CMBB and CMAK mods for trees, buildings, some of the terrain, and also some of the armour (if they use the same 3D model) can be made work for CMBO too (with some renumbering).

I don't think the CMBB and CMAK uniform torso bitmaps would work well for CMBO because after CMBO I think they improved the torso 3D model a little - but the CMBO uniform mods are good anyway.

Some other mods (such as my Universal Carrier) are already converted from CMBB and CMAK to specifically work on CMBO. With some effort you can get CMBO looking almost as good as a well-modded CMAK (minus the terrain elements, and undamaged buildings changing to damaged during the game, of course). However, there is one great buildings mod set (by panzertruppen) that comes looking part-damaged, to account for this - currently its only at the http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods site in CMMOS form, so if you don't use that mod manager you have to rename the bitmaps you want by removing any additional lettering to just leave the bitmap number (eg. change "308_pzt" to "308").

If you also search my CMAK mods, you'll see both my "Humber" and "Winter Tree-Tops" mods are compatible for CMBO also.

Greetings, Wulff79

If you are referring to the two very early alternate bitmap collections [named

"MDMP1" and "MDMP2"] for CMBO, I have them on a backup disk, and will be

happy to send you copies if you send me a PM request.

Although, as Streety suggests, you will probably eventually want to replace most of what they contain, at some later date, with individually downloaded and specialized updates.

Incidentally, if you go searching on the suggested [current] download sites for "Mad Dog" you probably won't find anything. FYI, here is a list of the original individual contributors --

Mad Dog Design Team Members:

Madmatt

Kwazydog

Bil Hardenberger

Aikidorat

Todd Daily

Michel Henry

Richard III

You might have better luck searching by their individual names for their more

current work.

DARoot

Hi All

Thank you for your rapid replies! And thank you streety for uploading them again.

I will definately chek out the recommended sites to find more mods. Any "must have"?

Finally the nex cm battle for normandy looks quite promising and so does afganistan and shock force! A lot has happened over the last 10 years i guess :)

Thanks again guys!

You're welcome!

I've not long started going back through and updating my CMBO set. If I like where I get to I may offer up a super-mod replacement bitmap folder, much like I did with my "Western Front" offering for CMAK, only smaller (as CMBO has far fewer bitmaps). In the meantime, to answer your question: in addition to what I said in my first post, the easiest thing to do at GaJ's CMMODS site is to select CMBO mods by "downloads" to see which have proved the most popular. If you don't use the CMMOS mod manager (I don't) you may want to note that many mods come in both CMMOS and normal versions (for example, mfred has repackaged some CMMOS mods into normal mods). Any armour/vehicles by Gordon Molek or Marco Bergman, and any uniforms by Andrew Fox, will probably be worth having, as are my CMBO mods! And Philo46 has uploaded some improved sounds and skies etc from CMBB and CMAK for use in CMBO. Tarkus, Deanco and Pakfan all do good interfaces. Trees, hedge, walls and grass you can just use any CMAK or CMBB mod (though you may need to renumber the bitmaps) - anything nabbed and renumbered from those games is going to be an improvement on CMBO and some modders have already done some of that for you in some of their offerings.

I'll let you know how far I get in revamping my CMBO set. I'm currently trying to see how much of my CMAK Western Front conversion can be imported to CMBO.

Greetings, Wulff79

While you are following Streety's advice above, keep in mind --

- You are not limited in what you can download, and try out (to see if you like it) simply because it has been uploaded as a CMMOS mod. All that means is that the various included .bmp fies have been given "suffixes" to allow them to be "swapped" out and in by the CMMOS program.

If you see something you like, go ahead and get it! You don't need CMMOS to put it in YOUR game (just delete the suffix and copy to your .bmp folder -- although that WILL overwrite whatever is in there with the same name, so make Backups ...)

- Streety and I (apparently) do things similarly -- we prefer "by hand" alterations to letting "automated editors" do the changes (gives one more control). But, there's nothing wrong with other ways to do stuff ...

-

Streety -- ""..Any armour/vehicles by Gordon Molek or Marco Bergman, and any uniforms by Andrew Fox, will probably be worth having, as are my CMBO mods!.."

I would perhaps add, Fernando's H/T and other Light Armored Vehicles. But, I encourage you to try different things, and "keep" what you like best!

Main thing is, Have Fun!

:)

DARoot