Questions - completely new to SC games

I have browsed through the manual, but I find it does not really tell you much about using the interface, or what some information displayed on screen means.

1. What do the small circled numbers in city squares mean? Is this the MPP you get if you take the city?

2. What does SA mean in the combat prediction data you see when you select your unit and hover over an enemy unit?

3. What does SD mean in the same screen?

I'm sure I will have more questions, but I'm at work now and cannot look at the screen. This is just what I came up with really quick.

Is there a better document that helps new players actually learn how to play? The manual is filled with information, but I don't really see much on exactly how to use the interface or what stuff I see means.

Thanks!

Yes, that helps. Thank you very much.

So, what is a good amount of supply? I see the maximum is 10. What are the adverse effects if a unit has less than 10 supply?

Why isn't this stuff in the manual? Is there a document or tutorial somewhere that can be helpful for me to learn the game?

The manual can be a bit lacking at times, in regard to your questions

1. pg33 Supply cross referenced with pg56 Resource Strength Values but even then it isn't explicitly stated as to how the Supply Value is represented on the map

2. and 3. As far as I can see abbreviations are not defined or explained anywhere in the manual, however they were in the SC2 Blitzkrieg manual which is the game I started with in the SC series (not much use to those who have started on the current release)

When I started playing I admit it took me a fair bit of time to figure out what exactly those little circled numbers on the unit bases were !

General advice for understanding the interface is if you see something on the map you don't understand click on it and see what info comes up in the info box at the bottom of the screen.

If that doesn't help right click on the terrain or unit and select properties for additional information.

The properties screen can be the best way of figuring out what something is in the game. For example you might see (+1DB) in the combat prediction, what on earth is DB, right click to bring the units properties up - nope doesn't seem to be something to do with the units, right click and select the terrain properties and you will see mention of a Defensive Bonus which assuming you have just clicked on a forest will be 1.

An updated version of SC2 Blitzkrieg appendix IX for SCWW1 would be very useful.

To follow up on supply:

I press the 'S' key, and I see a matrix of supply values. I press the 'S' key again and I see a different matrix of supply values. What is the difference?

It sure seems like the manual assumes you already know how to play the game.

The supply values should only change if something has changed on the map, this could be movement of units friendly or enemy(particularly HQs), weather (affects movement costs and thus supply) and damage to supply sources. See Supply and Action Points on pg33 of the manual for more info.

Yes, that helps. Thank you very much.

So, what is a good amount of supply? I see the maximum is 10. What are the adverse effects if a unit has less than 10 supply?

Why isn't this stuff in the manual? Is there a document or tutorial somewhere that can be helpful for me to learn the game?

As long as supply is above 5 you are OK, when it gets to 5 or lower it has negative effects on action points (i.e. movement) and limits on the level it can be reinforced to - See pgs33-36 in the manual.

Thanks Wolfe. You are very helpful.

Nope, I click S and see one set of supply, then immediately click S again and see a different set of supply.

I wish the designer would chime in and explain why the manual is missing so much information for new players. This is very disappointing to have paid top price for these games, and the manual does not tell me how to play and what things mean.

I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, but I have very little tolerance for poor manuals, especially for games of this complexity.

Hi FroBodine,

Welcome to the SC series of games and thank you for bringing some of these items to our attention as there is always room for improvement on our end.

Over the years the game has changed quite a bit and unfortunately it seems that we may have missed documenting some of the smaller changes and we will work to improve this for our next generation of games.

For the S key, this info can be found in the Breakthrough Expansion Notes guide that can be found in your Manuals folder for the game.

The explanation for what you've found is the following:

"‘S’ hotkey now shows current supply, followed by the predicted supply of your next turn, the second time you press the 'S' key."

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask as you can see we have a very helpful community here :)

And thanks again for your interest in the game,

Hubert

Thank you for the response, Hubert.

My next question is about ships. I am playing the Jutland scenario, and my ships have a 10 on them, which is their strength. There is also a small circled 1 next to the strength. What is this? I thought it might be the number of strikes the ship has left, but then I attacked and the 1 stays there.

Thanks!

Bill - I just saw this post, and took a look at your interface tutorials.

This is outstanding! I truly appreciate your effort in making these. You have jumped to my short list of awesome developers that I will follow and support wholeheartedly.

I am happy to help idiot-proof the game. If (when) I run across anything else that I don't understand, I will post more noobie questions.

Thanks again!

-=Jeff