Pre-orders

Guest Big Time Software

You're right, we don't want to say wink.gif Although Battlefront.com is a very open and honest company, there are still "trade secrets" that must be kept close to our chests. We know for an absolute fact that certain wargame companies, both small and large, are watching our progress VERY carefully (hint... I can see every domain name that logs onto our server, even if we didn't have inside info from several sources smile.gif)

What battlefront.com is doing now has never been done before in the games industry, so it is not surprising. Sure there are other companies selling their wares on the net, but most still sell through retail to some extent, are positioned to capture the mass market game audience (Ambrosia Software kicking the most butt!!), or are one trick ponies. We are the first web only, niche only, band of developers out there with retail quality software at fair prices. So, there are LOTS of things certain people would like to know smile.gif

All I will say is that we are quite pleased with the show of faith the preorders represents. We aren't complaining smile.gif

Steve

And Steve, I just preordered another copy as a gift if that helps smile.gif. I would hope that someone here who will surely feel the need for making an especially welcome gift would not negelect CM.

BTW I hope this does not confuse the ordering system, two separate orders from the same customer.

I have a horrible vision for the future. A suitable success here being made an offer any rational soul could not financially refuse, and BTS, Battlefront.com et al are purchased along with CM. Back to square one. Big money has been known to do such things just to eliminate competition, sometimes even at a loss.

Bobb,

Well, in the words of Pink Floyd "Money is the root of all evil today, but don't be surprised if they're not giving any away..."

I'm just hoping that CM makes enough money to allow BTS to hire play-testers in order to met the demand for CM2, CM3, etc. My resume can be found at HireMe.com...

I know that you can't give out actual numbers. But since you get so much more money per sale over the internet than in a retail chain, I was wondering if you could tell us how much less you have to sell over the internet to do well.

I am sure you went over the numbers very carefully before you even started. I'm looking for something general like, 'We could sell one-tenth as much as we do at the retail level and we would be happy'

Jason

The reason I ask is I'm a finance major. It's the kind of thing I am interested in.

Guachi,

That quote you made is a paraphrase of something Steve said many, many moons ago.. It was either on this board or on the manifesto.

And FWIW I don't think you'll get more than that out of him wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

hehe... that's right, nobody will smile.gif We figure that roughly one Internet sale (in our own specific circumstances) is equal to roughly 10 retail sales. Included in this is risk and screwu factor. To understand what I mean by this, a certain mail order company still owes me $2000 from 4 years ago do to an accounting "mistake" they refused to admit to (I had paperwork, but gee, what does that do when they won't answer your calls...) I also had a distributer go Chapter 11 and then returned MOST of my stock, so add another $1100 of stolen merchandise to the list smile.gif

As far as us getting bought out... we don't think it will happen. We are doing this because we love it, not because we are greedy for money. *IF* someone offered us way too much money, we might take it. But guess what? It isn't that hard to make another website and nobody will ever own our code but us smile.gif So a buy out of us for millions of dollars only means better games for you smile.gif They can have the company if they are silly enough to pay for it, but nobody will ever be our keepers.

Don't worry though, a buy out ain't going to happen.

Steve

Thanks,

Either I read the one-tenth number somewhere or it is just an informed guess.

If one copy sold is equivalent to 10 at retail, then I think I should get ten copies sent to me smile.gif

Ok, maybe not. But I do expect my one pre-order copy to be here in a few months.

<Keeps fingers crossed>

Jason