New Screenshots

A little Deja vu here smile.gif

In scrutinizing the "Fighting in among the hedgerows" screen shot I have a few questions/ observations. First, the grey unidentified (spotted?) German tank to far right is very cool! Is that what took out the highlighted Stewart? On this same subject what Amis unit is spotting that unit so that it is still visible to the Allied player? Second, could you tell us about the "V" flag in the background? Is this how an unoccupied victory location is dipicted now? Final observation, it took me a little while to figure out what the black blob in the road was. I noticed that the Tanks were going around it so it must be a road block, right? Maybe a timber or two sticking out of it may make it a bit more recognizable. This is not critical ...just a suggestion.

I really liked all of the screenshots and the textures on the vehicles are great now. Good job guys!

------------------

Rhet

Guest Big Time Software

Welcome back Rhet!

No idea who is still spotting who. The screenshot doesn't show the whole battlefield, so I can't say for sure. However, intelligence levels degrade instead of instantly change. The next time spotting is checked the unit will go down a notch if nobody is spotting it, then down again, then down again. I think this happens a couple of times a second, but could be mistaken.

The "V" flag is what you think it is; a Victory Location. However, it could be in German hands. All you know (as the US player) is that it ISN'T in your hands. Unless you are closeby you lose claim to victory locations. This prevents "recon by VL ownership" like so many other games.

Yeah, the "blob" is placeholder graphics for the roadblock. Up close you can see that it is in fact made out of debris, but in the shot it is impossible to see.

Steve

This is a very infomative thread and screen shot. It shows how the limited intelligence thing works better than the LOS description did.

However I have one question; Was bedeutet Shurzen?

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-23-99).]

LOL ;).. There's trouble a'brewin' ;) once people start talking in German.

Schuerzen..

BTW has ANYONE EVER seen it spelled schuertzen? I'm asssuming that's a bastardised english spelling. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever seen a German spelling it that way?

This is out of curiosity since I once had someone adamantly state that the spelling schuertzen was valid in CC3 ;)

BTS,

After looking at the German pillbox line in the woods and some of the other new screen shots a question that has been in the back of my mind for awhile arises. I can't remember if this has been covered before, but will the scenario designer and/or the players be able to designate units as being camoflauged??? I'm thinking primarily of units in defenisve positions having camoflauge netting, tree branches covering AT gun emplacements and tanks, etc. I know that many pillbox pictures I've seen were not camoflauged, but then again I've seen at least some, and maybe more than I can remember, that were so. Same goes for tank, gun and infantry defensive emplacements. Looking at the screenshots the pillboxes sitting there along / in the edge of the tree line look kind of bare / easy to spot from the looks of things (definitely not easy to see by any means, but not very difficult either). Are they receiving some kind of negative spotting bonus being that they are in / near the woods? Would it be difficult to implement some type of camoflauge scheme in the game for those situations where the defense has had time to implement such things (as determined by the scenario designer)? It just seems like it would add a lot to the game if the attacker couldn't "see" and/or spot enemy defensive emplacements quite so easily, but maybe you have taken care of this in an abstract manner in the game in which case I'm just asking for the "eye candy" of actually seeing the camoflauge that goes along with the coding.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Steve, a few more questions on the screen shots.

Screen shot: German bunker line in the woods

The wire looks great! the coils seem pretty random. Is the wire a "place holder" as well? is a different texture going to be put on it (like a silver color)? The trees look so good! reminds me of model railroads. smile.gif

Screen shot: Spreading out to take a small village

Is the U.S. unit on the far right surrendering? It sure looks like it with his hands up. very cool! I think this is the first time you have shown a surrendered unit.

Screen shot: Overhead view of US attack

Regarding the lines extending from the platoon HQ, they are shown in brown. Does the color mean anything? It would be helpful to the player if they changed color depending on the command delay that is incurred between the HQ and its units. I'll give a for instance.

Say the halftrack moves 200 meters further to the right to cover a flank position. It would be very helpful if say that line changed from brown through orange to red as the unit got progressivly further away. The brown would indicate a minimal delay, orange would mean moderate and red would represent a delay of over say 40 sec. This would allow the player to account for the relative command delay when issuing orders during the planning phase.

BTW, can I send you the bill from the optometrist? wink.gif

------------------

Rhet

[This message has been edited by Rhet (edited 06-23-99).]

Sorry for trying to continue the German, but I took four years of Deutsch all together (High School and College.) Then last week I was on a photo shoot with a couple of German guys, got me in the mood to try my German again. I never was very good at it.

I am also hoping for camouflaged defensive positions. I have seen footage of AT guns hidden and camouflaged in a hedgerow, amazing how difficult they could be to see. Seems to me that this would be instrumental in their success, since they would be so vulnerable to incoming fire once spotted

Welcome to "Deutsch for wargamers". Today we're going to discuss the meaning of "Schürzen".

"Die Schürzen" (or "Schuerzen") means "aprons" or "skirts" (yes, multiple, not just one)

And the correct spelling is "Schürzen" not "Schürtzen" for reasons that would take a whole new thread to explain. smile.gif

Thanks for the explanation on the vocab. I forgot a great deal of my vocab since college. Also I am not sure that we learned these particular words to begin with.

Adjective endings are also somewhere in the fog of forgotten memories.

Guest Big Time Software

Mike - the player does not designate camouflage per se. Rather this is built-in to the spotting equations based on the assumption that dug-in defenders would have a chance to apply camouflage and that they would do so.

We don't show the camouflage for the simple reason that then the player would have a hard time seeing his own units!

Rhet - Yes the wire graphic is a placeholder. The U.S. troops are indeed surrendering. The HQ lines, when brown, indicate "in command" and turn black when out of command.

Charles

Charles,

I figured you guys had the camoflauge thing covered somehow. If it's modeled and utilized in the spotting algorithms that's great. I guess I don't really need to "see" it I when it comes right down to it. Thanks.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

Mike, don't forget (or maybe you didn't know smile.gif) that pillboxes and other defensive installations must be spotted first. So if you are attacking and spot a pillbox there is really no reason for us to make it graphically hard to see (i.e. putting camo texture on there). Trust me, those buggers are hard enough to see if they are in lots of woods. This is why we allow trees to be graphically reduced or turned off.

Steve

Steve,

I kinda figured that was the case, but wasn't sure. I guess my orginal thought was not having the pillbox (or other camoflauged enemy installation / vehicle) suddenly appear and be fully sighted once they opened fire on the advancing attackers. But you guys, as always, seem to have a fairly "elegant", well thought out solution for this; and it sounds plenty good enough to me. Thanks.

Mike