A couple of questions

So I'm new to this game and there are a whole bunch of things I'm wondering about.

1. How do you suppress the enemy when you don't see them, but you know they are there?

Example:

A Stryker with a Mk19 sees someone far away and the Stryker opens up. The enemy goes prone and then disappears. Now I want the Stryker to suppress the area where the enemy is. So I click on the Stryker, I click on the red icon that says Target, I try to click on the ground where the enemy was, but it says the Stryker doesn't have a line of sight. Clearly this is wrong because the Stryker just pounded that area seconds ago. What am I doing wrong?

2. My arty is always missing. Am I doing something wrong?

Pretty much always I call in artillery (mortars), the spotter doesn't correct the mortar onto the target. About 20 to 50 meters away from the target, the spotter calls for a fire for effect, then the artillery misses. Often it misses horribly. Am I doing something wrong or is this simply the way the game is designed?

3. When I try to attack ground with the red Target button, I notice I cannot precisely select where I want to shoot. Not sure how to explain. It's like the ground is made of gigantic squares and you can only select the center of the squares. Is there a more precise way to choose where you want to shoot on the ground?

4. When a Stryker is transporting troops, the troops turn out to see outside. This is fine. However, the enemy tries to shoot with small arms at the troops. Can the enemy kill the turned out troops? Should I be worried? If so, is there a way to make them stay inside?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer those questions for me. Thanks.

I can answer a few of these...first off the squares are really there, you have that correct, they are referred to as action spots. They are 8X8 meters. Sometimes you have to play around with them to target where you want but they aren't going to be exact when it comes to area fire.

When you have lost LOS to a target but want to continue suppressing the area the best thing to do is keep targeting until you are locked on to an action spot closest to where you'd like to suppress...usually you can target a spot a bit in front of where the enemy was last seen. That's good enough as your projectiles (especially launched grenades) will pepper the surrounding area sufficiently to hurt or in the least, keep the enemy's head down.

If you don't want your Stryker passengers to have their heads up, issue a close command and they'll stay buttoned inside the vehicle.

As for Arty...there are quite a few things to consider when calling it in...it would probably be best to refer to page 86+ of the manual and give it a good read through. That may help better than I could. But major factors to consider would be your C2 links (and the unit calling in the fire mission), maintaining LOS to the target and the delay time until ordnance starts plopping out of the sky (the longer the wait usually the more accurate the mission).

Hope this helps a bit.

Mord.

Thanks. I think that explains points 2, 3 and 4.

About point 1. I noticed that when there's a small obstacle, like a low wall, in between the Stryker and the enemy, then the Stryker can't get a line of sight on the ground next to the "invisible" enemy. This means I can't fire at the ground, even though the Stryker can hit it when he shoots automatically when the enemy stands up. Is there a workaround for this or is this a glitch in the game?

One more thing about those squares. I think it's quite annoying because if you can't fire at the enemy, there's no chance to kill the enemy, right? I guess it only suppresses the enemy?

Those squares, is this solved in the new Italy game? I read it's a newer engine. So does it have smaller squares, so that it's easier to aim at a specific point on the ground?

And one final question about those squares. Should I be imaging in my head a grid view, like the HEXes you can see in many strategy games? Or do the squares only apply to shooting?

Thanks. I think that explains points 2, 3 and 4.

About point 1. I noticed that when there's a small obstacle, like a low wall, in between the Stryker and the enemy, then the Stryker can't get a line of sight on the ground next to the "invisible" enemy. This means I can't fire at the ground, even though the Stryker can hit it when he shoots automatically when the enemy stands up. Is there a workaround for this or is this a glitch in the game?

One more thing about those squares. I think it's quite annoying because if you can't fire at the enemy, there's no chance to kill the enemy, right? I guess it only suppresses the enemy?

Those squares, is this solved in the new Italy game? I read it's a newer engine. So does it have smaller squares, so that it's easier to aim at a specific point on the ground?

And one final question about those squares. Should I be imaging in my head a grid view, like the HEXes you can see in many strategy games? Or do the squares only apply to shooting?

First about the artillery, try not to use emergency missions if you can because they will miss.

As for the aiming thing, you are right (of course :)), if there is a small wall in front of an enemy squad you cannot click the ground where that squad is. But there is a workaround, you can usually target the ground in front of the squad or behind the squad to area fire.

What area fire does is to "spray around" the square, so eventually some rounds will fall where that squad is lying prone. I have found it to work quite well.

By the way the game tracks every round so area fire can *definitely* hurt the enemy. So you don't need to "see" the enemy to kill him.

As for the squares, it's something you're going to have to get used to, but it's not as bad as you think. The square serve 2 purposes, they define the terrain, they help reduce the calculation of the LOS (without impacting accuracy). The units however are tracked on a much finer scale using the polygon models of the soldiers and vehicles and bullet path to determine hits.

The squares are also in CMFI and probably won't in the future (although I might be wrong). Personally I have gotten accustomed to them, and barring one or two oddities here and there I find that it works quite good.

Good luck!