Ammo Bearer

I am wondering how the Ammo Bearer work in the game.

Very often when I play a QuickBattle, the Ammo Bearer does not carry any special Ammo at all.

Example:

German Antitank Team:

1 Squad / A Team obviously owns the Gun and it comes with 36 AP and 15 HE Ammonition.

1 Squad / B Team (the Ammo Bearer) does not have any Gun Ammo at hand. Only 130 7.92mm and 2 Grenades.

German Infantry Gun Team:

1 Squad / A Team comes with 30 HE Ammunition.

1 Squad / B Team (the Ammo Bearer) again only brings 130 7.92mm and 2 Grenades.

Is that how it is supposed to work?

Steven

Thanks for the explanation. This makes it more clear.

Another thing I noticed is that if the guns are located close together (let's say within 25m) they also pool of Ammo. Nice. :-)

Steven

All subunits within the same [lowest-level org unit] will share all types of ammo if they're within roughly 2 Action spots of each other. They'll only start passing ammo out if another share-eligible unit is in range and running on empty of that particlar ammo type.

All subunits within the same [lowest-level org unit] will share all types of ammo if they're within roughly 2 Action spots of each other. They'll only start passing ammo out if another share-eligible unit is in range and running on empty of that particlar ammo type.

@Womble,

What's the "lowest-level"; squads or platoons or does it depend on how small units are broken down?

I understand you to mean that if a squad breaks down into teams, the teams will share ammo within 2 actions spots. (I think that's why people suggest breaking a squad into teams so that one team can use the "acquire" command to resupply from munitions carrying vehicles. Is that correct?

Does the same thing happen within a platoon if all platoon subunits are still full squads?

Thanks for posting.

@Womble,

What's the "lowest-level"; squads or platoons or does it depend on how small units are broken down?

The lowest level org unit is either a platoon or a section, usually. Though there might be other ways of cracking platoons up which segregate the sharing eligibility, that I've not encountered.

I understand you to mean that if a squad breaks down into teams, the teams will share ammo within 2 actions spots.

All the teams within a platoon will share.

(I think that's why people suggest breaking a squad into teams so that one team can use the "acquire" command to resupply from munitions carrying vehicles. Is that correct?

Nope, I reckon there's two reasons to use split into teams to get ammo:

1) you can send a scout team back from your fighting positions, and that only loses you two rifles from the firing line, rather than an entire squad.

2) you can load up a particular team with the ammo they need. SMG ammo is probably the best example: if you pile a squad into a truck, pick up all the SMG ammo and then split the Assault team off, you'll find the non-assault section will be carrying a big chunk of the SMG ammo, even though they've only got maybe a few pistols to use it with. This isn't too much of a problem when the teams are near-adjacent, because they'll share, but when the assault team is the far side of a field to the fire team...

"lowest level org unit" was a poor shorthand that I used in a rush. Should have typed "platoon, or section if the platoon is so subdivided, except maybe the Italians..."

Does the same thing happen within a platoon if all platoon subunits are still full squads?

Sorry, I've confused you, so to be clear: it doesn't matter whether you split squads or not, if they could share at game start they'll be able to share all game. For plain (non-Italian) infantry platoons, that means all the elements of that platoon can share, whether they be intact squads, part squads or individual teams. It's generally (except for the Italians) support weapons that are organised into sections below the Platoon level.

I don't know how far (across the Table of Organisation) Italian squads can share, since they're split into sections already.