Artillery Ammunition?

sigop22

Just out of curiousity, how 1:1 is the Arty ammo count for the game? It seems to me after reading some books that Arty ammo was pretty plentiful, but in the game it seems like smoke gets a huge cut.

Is smoke ammo reduced for gameplay reasons or is the "40" count a standard thing? Theres been a lot of situations where I'd rather burn more smoke than HE, could there be a way for mission makers to adjust ammo count?

The ammo counts - and the split between HE and smoke - are based on typical ammo holdings for each weapon system. In some cases these are documented in detail (look for 1st Line Ammo (per Gun) in the table). Sometimes not. Where they're available, I think BFC used tem. Where not, I think BFC used their best guess based on similar weapons.

I don't think it's currently possible to alter the ratio between HE and Smoke in the game or the editor (although it is possible to fire off your smoke as HE).

That makes sense.

One thing I've never really been keen on for info is the Arty side of this sort of thing. I've read quite a few books on Italy (mind you all the Mark Zuereke Canadian ones though) and it's not really mentioned how much or how often Artillery ammunition was in supply. But it always seems like there was enough for a good barrage or two.

Smoke is one of my primary means of moving around, that's why I was just asking. I havent had much time to play but the first two Campaign missions of FI are very difficult without a sort of blanket of smoke.