Use of hand grenades (or lack of it on the US side))

Does anyone has noticed the lack of the use of hand grenades on the allied side? I have not played too many games yet but it seems that US troops just wont throw any of them even in close quarter fighting. One occasion is going in a PBEM game where my Rangers and enemy infantry found each other quite close (under 30m). The Italians keep tossing their hand grenades, but my troops have not thrown single one yet even they do have them. Luckily the Italian ones have been thrown mostly over my guys and I've been able to mov them down with small arms fire, but the lack of grenades is a bit weird. Has anyone else noticed this? Have not had time to test this though so I might be totally wrong about it, but that's the impression I have had so far...

I am not sure but I guess the reason might be Italian grenades were "offensive", so they had little explosive power and no prefragmented jacket so it produced little schrapnel. OTOH the American Mk2 grenade was "defensive", that is, had more explosive power and a prefragmented jacket so it was much more dangerous. For the Italians...and for the Americans too!

If I was Italian I would have used my little "red devils" because I would know that I would be safe if one of them landed 30 m away (it seems you were safe if you were about 15-20 m away). However if I was American I wouldn't be sure the schrapnel from a Mk2 grenade which landed 25 m away wouldn't hit me as well.

Haven't noticed it myself. Had a squad of paratroopers use their grenades rather effectively, even after there were just 3 men left in the squad. This was while resisting an onslaught of 2 rather suppressed German squads my 3 men snuck up on. Those three guys took the majority of those 2 German squads prisoner shortly after :).