Belice, Italian

First, I am more impressed with BFC than I can even express. With the WW2 Italians, we are a long way from modern NATO troops, and I now think BFC, if they wanted to, could do an epic CMBB2.

But lets look at the CC for this scenario, from the Italian side. I spent a number of minutes drawing it out on a piece of paper. Which, I am suggesting, is a slight problem for such a tiny scenarion (nice, the sorting by scenario size).

It appears the scout is directly connected to the company HQ, the MG is connected to the 2 platoon HQ, and there are 3 squads, with the mortar connected to the 2nd squad. If correct, I can get this info with a lot of clicking, but a schematic in game would be helpful.

All this is important because, as I understand it, the scouts have to be in contact with the company HQ to transmit their information back, with means putting that HQ forward--not what I would usually do. I don't see a radio.

Is my analysis correct?

Belice appears to be a special case. The backstory is they're a cobbled-together unit made up of stragglers. There's no radios that I can find (besides reinforcement fighting vehicles), and C&C with the company commander seem to be all of fifty meters! There's also no artillery besides on-map Brixias and they need to be in direct contact with a spotter if they're doing indirect fire. The best you can hope for is for the squad HQ to keep his men under control, and for higher command to be rushed forward to lend his leadership bonus points (veteran +1) when a unit comes under stress. Otherwise its like herding cats. :)

I love it.

My guess is that keeping all the Italians in fairly close proximity is going to be the way to go. No sweeping flanking maneuvers with separated elements, rather it is more like working with 1941 conscript Soviets.

I also have to remember: Don't just do something, stand there. I am still getting used to the optimum pace of CM2--where standing and watching is important.

It is also great that there are variable AI plans. With that, a scenario like this could give an a number of enjoyable replays--and still not be a "puzzle" scenario.

So far doing ok with the Italians, using the techniques Bil mentions in his AAR: defensive, hit and run, keep everyone together. No big sweeps--the 1/2 squads are too underpowered, and the CC too tenuous. Hedgehog. And their are trucks to replenish ammo so that, if I can keep my people alive, ammo should not be a problem during the 50 turns.

And direct firing the mortar seems to be the only way to go--waiting 7 minutes for indirect otherwise. I think I have finally convinced myself that direct firing mortars are realistic. (And, since I still have my doubts about linear fire plans, the area fire on a direct fire mission area fire avoids that concern.)

There are some nice craters on the board which seem to be designed for heavy weapons. (And, for me, it is so, so, nice to not be fighting in bocage)

If I did RT, this would likely be a great scenario for that. Indeed, with the reinforcements, I have a hard time imagining doing RT with anything troop strength larger.