HEAT again

I saw a thread recently where someone reported their HE armed vehicle firing all its HEAT at a building before using its HE. It was speculated that it may be because it considers the building "armoured".

However, I've just had an instance of this happening with an Area Target on open ground.

I saw a couple of platoons running across open fields and ordered my vehicle to Area Fire ( since actual glimpses of infantry is fleeting, but I know they're crossing that field ).

I was puzzled watching the replay because I expected to see its ammo count dropping ... until I noticed that the HEAT count was dropping :(

Drilling copper jets into the ground - well at least we perplexed the enemy...

It fired 3-4 rounds in the turn, all HEAT.

So perhaps it's a bug related to Area Fire and not firing at/into Buildings.

I have the turn if needed.

Baneman,

I think part of the problem is that, so far as I can tell, we still can't fire HE, Delay, which would allow an HE shell to easily penetrate all but the hardest buildings before detonating inside. As it is, we seem to have to batter the buildings down. I find myself wondering whether what you're observing might be carryover code from CMSF, for there, the M1s and other 120 mm smoothbore gun tanks sport a hybrid projectile called MPAT which is capable of being used as an HE shell or a HEAT shell. Is it possible that there's a code segment running that says, in essence, "Building requires MPAT," and that gets twisted in the code, emerging as "See building and preferentially fire HEAT?" Since MPAT is also, barring Beehive, the antipersonnel round for the M1 and similar, perhaps another twist in the code is causing it to choose that over vanilla HE. BFC, I believe there's a bug here.

Regards,

John Kettler

Baneman,

That was the other part of the message. MPAT is also the HE round for the M1, so my speculation is that maybe the posited to exist carryover code from CMSF preferentially selects the closest thing it can find to MPAT. Since MPAT operates as HEAT or HE, depending on what's hit,

http://www.atk.com/capabilities_defense/cs_ms_w_tgs_120ammo.asp

the ammo selection logic grabs it first, and the closest thing to MPAT in CMBN world is HEAT. That's the only explanation I can come up with that makes even remote sense.

MPAT fired at an Area Target would initiate from the nose, going off as HE. If fired at a light armored target, it would initiate from the base and go off as HEAT. This is a plausible explanation for the observed behavior, and I really do think this is a case where code from the modern game CMSF got left in when we back stepped to the earlier, cruder tech of World War II.

If I'm right, then there is a code carryover, and I suspect more will turn up. Imagine the screams from the Axis players if, say, Excalibur code (GPS guided artillery shells) got left in?!

Regards,

John Kettler