Dead soldiers

When you click on a unit, would it be possible like the old CMx1 to have the whole unit shown with active units, wounded and dead without disappearing from the list in the UI.

I think you get a better feel/pain of your loses when you can see who was lost on the list.

I was just reading through the UI improvements for the new system and i am very happy with your upgrades.

Gets better all the time.

When you click on a unit, would it be possible like the old CMx1 to have the whole unit shown with active units, wounded and dead without disappearing from the list in the UI.

I think you get a better feel/pain of your loses when you can see who was lost on the list.

I was just reading through the UI improvements for the new system and i am very happy with your upgrades.

Gets better all the time.

I'd also really, really like to know all the soldier's names -- although I understand this has been requested before and BFC explained why the CMx2 engine/UI can't do it.

I agree, but nothing is stopping us from implementing a "Leader Character" element ourselves with a bit of bookkeeping, since we already know all the leader names and can edit them to put them in any battle or unit.

I'm already doing that with my Operation Epsom op-tac campaign and the system of leader characters/leader points/medals etc., that the Panzer Grenadier boardgame uses in that campaign Each battalion level battle can have up to 3 leaders who are Leader Characters.

Specifically -- here are the initial rough conversion rules I made for translating CMBN events into point-awarding/point-losing events for leader characters:

-----

20.32 Conversion of LC counter ratings to CMBN

LEADER’s MORALE in PG = LEADER’S MOTIVATION in CMBN

(Morale cannot fall below 7)

PG Morale 7 = CMBN motivation NORMAL

PG Morale 8 = CMBN motivation HIGH

PG Morale 9 = CMBN motivation EXTREME

PG Morale 10 = CMBN motivation FANATIC

LEADER’S COMBAT + TROOP MORALE MODIFIER in PG = LEADERSHIP in CMBN

LEADERSHIP CONVERSION CHART

PG Total CMBN Leadership Rating:

(Combat + Morale Modifiers) (When deployed to battle)

0 0

1 Plus 1

2 Plus 1

3 Plus 2

4 Plus 2

EXPERIENCE

Since LCs all start the campaign as lieutenants, the idea is that they’re officers with outstanding leadership potential who are just starting their combat careers.

EXPERIENCE PROGRESS CHART

Status of the LC CMBN Experience Rating

(Based on events) (When deployed to battle)

Initial CMBN battle Green

Entering 2nd CMBN battle Regular

Entering 3rd CMBN battle Veteran

Had net Leadership Points gain in 3rd battle Crack

Had net Leadership Points gain in 4th battle Elite

As the chart shows, LC’s who fight and survive gain experience automatically with their first three battles, progressing from Green to Regular to Veteran. LC’s remain at Veteran indefinitely until they earn Crack or Elite status, by having net gains in Leadership Points.

FITNESS

A LC’s fitness rating in CMBN is governed by any of these conditions applying when a battle occurs:

1. The condition of his counter going into battle (Disrupted = Weakened, Demoralized = Unfit)

2. The readiness status of his deployed battalion (Activated = Fit, Unactivated = Weakened)

Exception: LC’s with the “Fitness” miscellaneous skill are exempt from these conditions and always Fit.

MISCELLANEOUS SKILLS

When a LC is created, roll D10 for a possible miscellaneous skill:

MISCELLANEOUS SKILL TABLE

(Roll 1 Ten-sided die)

Die Roll: Skill:

0 to 6 No Skill

7 Fitness Skill

8 Survival Skill

9 Nine Lives

Miscellaneous Skill Definitions:

Fitness skill:

Always enters CMBN battles in Fit condition.

Survival Skill:

If KIA, WIA or captured in CMBN, roll outside the game after the battle under PG campaign rule 20.53 and 25.1 to determine the LC’s actual fate (light wound, serious wound, dead/captured). A survival skill gives the leader a -1 dieroll modifier on the Wounds, Capture, and Death table.

Note: LCs without this skill who get KIA or captured in CMBN suffer that result. If WIA in a CMBN battle, a LC without the Survival skill gets a dieroll after the battle ends on the Wounds, Capture, and Death table, but without the helpful -1 modifier.

Nine Lives skill:

If a newly created LC gets this skill, roll immediately on the PG table under rule 20.53 to find the dieroll modifier to use in possible casualty situations. If the LC is If KIA, WIA or captured in CMBN, roll outside the game after the battle under PG campaign rule 20.53 to determine whether he’s really a casualty.

21.0 Leadership Points

In the operational boardgame, follow the PG campaign rule 21.0 for LCs to gain/lose leadership points (LPs) and for tracking leadership points in the course of play. Many, if not most of these points will require the LC to expose himself to a certain amount of danger to exercise personal leadership. The “fog of war” in CMBN will make it challenging to see when these LP-worthy events happen, but c’est la guerre -- in real life, many acts of valor went unrecorded and unrecognized, too.

When a Leader Character enters a CMBN battle, keep track of the LC’s actions and note gained or lost LPs on his personnel record as follows:

Pin Rally (+1 LP) – Each time a unit under the LC’s command and in C2 (visual or voice only) recovers from PINNED status.

Rally Subordinate Unit Morale (+2 LP) – Each time a unit under the LC’s command and in C2 (visual or voice only) recovers from PANIC or SHAKEN to a level other than BROKEN (i.e., RATTLED, NERVOUS, CAUTIOUS, OK).

Rally Subordinate Leaders (+2 LP) – Each time a leader immediately subordinate to the LC and in C2 (voice, visual or radio) improves morale from PANIC or SHAKEN to a state other than BROKEN (i.e., RATTLED, NERVOUS, CAUTIOUS, OK).

Direct Fire

(+1 LP) Each time a unit under the LC’s immediate command and in C2 (voice or visual only) causes an enemy unit to ROUT.

(+2 LP) Each time a unit under the LC’s immediate command and in C2 (voice or visual only) causes casualties to an enemy unit. Award this for each occurrence, not for each casualty.

Indirect Fire (+1 LP) – Each time a LC spots for an indirect fire mission that causes the enemy unit to displace or take casualties.

Anti-tank Fire (+1 LP) -- Each time a unit under the LC’s immediate command and in C2 (voice or visual only) scores an AT hit (not small arms) on an enemy vehicle (except for trucks and prime movers).

Assault

These points are awarded/deducted in both attack and defense:

Assault causing a PIN or ROUT (+1 LP) – Each time a unit under the LC’s immediate command and in C2 (voice or visual only) causes a targeted enemy unit within 30 meters to PIN or ROUT.

Assault causing casualties (+2 LP) -- Each time a unit under the LC’s immediate command and in C2 (voice or visual only) causes a targeted enemy unit within 30 meters to suffer causalties (award this once for each occurrence, not for each casualty).

Leader PINNED (-1 LPs) – If the LC himself gets PINNED, deduct 1 LP.

Leader Character PANIC (-4 LPs) – Each time a Leader enters a PANIC morale state, deduct 4 LPs.

Leader Character BROKEN – After the battle, apply PG Campaign Rule 25.2 (Compound Demoralization and Desertion) to determine the LC’s fate (imprisonment or execution, or reprimand) and apply those effects.

Subordinate Leader or unit PANIC (-1 LP)

Subordinate Leader or unit ROUT or SURRENDER (-2 LP)

22.0 Improving Attributes

Follow the PG Rule 22.1 for using LPs to improve a Leader Character’s Morale, Combat Modifier, and Morale Modifier. Disregard the Rule 22.2 about buying new skills, since those are not used. Note the limitation that a LC cannot improve one of his attributes by more than 1 rating point at the end of a battle.

23.0 Earning Medals

Follow the PG rules for earning medals and promotion bonuses. Be sure to track the net LP gain from one battle to the next, because that’s used to assess performance in these areas.