1917 Campaign and National Morale

Hi folks,

just played the 1917 campaign after normaly playing the call to arms campaign in multiplayer mode. I see a problem in the 1917 campaign concerning the national morale of the countries:

they start all at 100 %

yes it is that simple. So where is the problem?

It is historically problematical that russian forces in 1917 fight with a 100% national morale. (the same is true for the french, austrian, germans etc.)

The same to be said about the much faster decline of morale in that campaign (because the total number of points per country is smaller)

Even if the morale values will sink faster (because the total number of morale points is lower) it comes to bad taste situations in the game. it just does not feel so much like 1917 as it could. The Russians (to stay with them in example, had no more units em masse, that fought with very high morale values, they were tired of war. Tired of war, from the things happened from 1914-16 not only from the beatings they got from the germans from 1917 onwards...

recommendation: just put in the total morale points of the 1914 campaigns in and substract the number of points which the countries have lost so far. That would mean, that Russia for example would start the game with, dunno, 40% national morale, germany with 60% etc. - the values should be determined by the designers. :-)

That would lead to more fitting fighting results and a better 1917 feel. They would fight more "historically" and also would not fall so fast from hero to zero...

I could add that NM values of 101% and higher (in games against the AI on expert level) are definately not adding to the goal of recreating a believable world or campaign.

In my eyes it would be much better give the AI lower punishments for loosing units and NM targets, and to give the human player less NM gains for destroying units and holding NM targets.

Even special AI DE would be better than to see the AI start with 150% NM.

It is historically problematical that russian forces in 1917 fight with a 100% national morale. (the same is true for the french, austrian, germans etc.)

The same to be said about the much faster decline of morale in that campaign (because the total number of points per country is smaller)

Not sure if this is necessary, as all the nations start with 100%, the fight eficiency look the same... but it would sound more historical, I must agree.

I could add that NM values of 101% and higher (in games against the AI on expert level) are definately not adding to the goal of recreating a believable world or campaign.

In my eyes it would be much better give the AI lower punishments for loosing units and NM targets, and to give the human player less NM gains for destroying units and holding NM targets.

Even special AI DE would be better than to see the AI start with 150% NM.

Agree... I dislike to play against the AI because of this thing, if you play with entente forces, the germans troops in france look like a unstopable steamroller force, you can go into the defensive, the AI will not be able to break the french line, but to try and fight for the sea, forget it... I think that a DE, when the AI NM drop to 90%, and you give it more 10%, ,makes more sense, in my opinion.