More on mortar crews and small arms

Lou

I've read the previous thread on using vehicle and gun crews as infantry and why this is not realistic. However, I ran into a situation in one of my games that seemed strange:

1. One of my mortar crews was out of ammo, and even though an enemy unit moved almost alongside, they did not lay down any defensive fire.

2. After being pounded on a few turns by the enemy unit, they abandoned the mortar.

3. After abandoning the mortar, the unit info showed small arms with 15 units of ammo.

4. The crew started firing at the enemy unit.

Is this really the way it should work? I can see a tactic developing that will have out of ammo mortar teams purposefully moving into harms way so that they will abandon their weapon and gain the small arms ability.

------------------

- Lou

[This message has been edited by Lou (edited 11-09-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

ANother thing to note is that we will be adding an "abandon" command so you can get your crews out of harms way FAST. You lose points for this, and the abandoned weapon counts the same as if your guys ran away, but you keep the headcount of the crew.

Steve

But the points lost will not be as high as loosing the crew, right? Replacing a 60 mm (or whatever) mortar is easy, replacing an experienced crew is not, I guess.

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason "why", our's is but to do and die!

Guest Big Time Software

For something like a mortar, I think the crew is worth a bunch compared to the tube. But I know the loss of a tank counts for a lot more, as it should. The reason why is for that battle, which is all that *really* matters, the loss of a tank is a BIG deal wink.gif

Steve