Popski's Private Army

Here's a bit for those who haven't heard of the PPA:

On December ninth the PPA was in action. Here is Popski's report: [A party of the 27th Lancers] "was surprised by the enemy and surrounded in a farmhouse. They reported...that they would have to surrender if they were not relieved before the evening. A PPA patrol of five jeeps moved up the only approach.....With covering fire from a troop of tanks 600 yards away they drove up to the Germans who were well dug in [on] a canal bank and were two companies strong. In spite of heavy enemy shelling the patrol came to within 30 yards of the enemy and opened fire. The action lasted fifty minutes whilst our men in the farm were evacuated, 25,000 rounds were fired, and the Germans finally fled leaving eighty dead. By and extraordinary piece of luck the only casualty of the patrol was one man slightly wounded. No vehicle suffered serious damage." The casualty was Popski and the "slightly wounded" was a serious understatement. It was also incorrect. Yunnie's B patrol had come to the rescue, and "Gigi" and another PPA patrolman were also wounded, facts Popski included in "Private Army". Popski had taken one bullet through his right hand, and his left hand was blown off. He received a DSO and was evacuated, first to Rome, then to England.

I read somewhere years ago that about 100,000 bullets were fired for every death, and 5,000 anti aircraft shells for every plane shot down. Anybody got any more up to date or credible data than my memory or imagination?

Here's a bit for those who haven't heard of the PPA:

I read somewhere years ago that about 100,000 bullets were fired for every death, and 5,000 anti aircraft shells for every plane shot down. Anybody got any more up to date or credible data than my memory or imagination?

Typical daily Ammunition expenditure in Tons (U.S. Army)

Operation_______Armored Division____Infantry Division_____155mm Battalion

Attack____________436 - 832________353 - 658___________66 - 121

Defense___________596 - 969________472 - 768___________86 - 142

Pursuit______________107______________83________________15

Delay/Retirement______321_____________256________________51

8th Air Force avg 12,700 rounds per enemy aircraft kill (.50/.30 cal)

5th Air Force avg 14,200 rounds per enemy aircraft kill (.50/.30 cal)

From D-Day to VE day the US Army expended 1 Billion rounds of ammunition (inclusive of grenades bazooka rounds, etc) for an average of 3.3 million rounds per day. This does not include Air Force or Navy rounds used in support of operations.

The book I have did not give an estimate of rounds per kill.

Typical daily Ammunition expenditure in Tons (U.S. Army)

Hi Fael,

Do you have a source for those figures, and/or do you know if they're 'typical' as in: derived from historical consumption rates, or 'typical' as in by-the-book (FM-100, 1944, or what ever) planning rates? In other words, are those figures forward looking, or backward looking.

I'm curious because various tonnages get bandied about in various contexts, and they seem flexible enough to fit whatever agenda the author has for them (I don't mean you have an agenda here - I'm talking about books on materielschlact and/or the Red Ball and/or logistics, etc). It'd be nice to have some figures that were derived from actual divisional consumption during a specified tmeframe or campaign.

Cheers

Jon

The reference I used was "Dirty Little Secrets of World War II" It's a compilation of all sorts of trivia from the war. I do wish it was organized better, but it is presented more as a trivia book to be read than an encyclopedia or reference book.

Still it does present some interesting stuff, and I found it an interesting read.

The book is primarily backward-looking, and the ammo consumption rates are from after the war, but it also includes organizational tables, etc. taken from sources that appear to have originated during the war. The ammo consumption rates that I posted are backward-looking, as they are presented to be compiled after the war and represent actual consumption estimates.

The specific reference they used to obtain the figures are not given, but if I find time later I will see if I can find out if it is important to you.

I don't know if it is still in print, but a quick check of Amazon or E-Bay may dredge it up, the copy I have has a publishing date of 1994, and it has been in my library since about '98.

The authors are James Dunnigan and Albert Nofi, if that means anything to anyone.