MG teams in foxholes?

Title pretty much asks my question.

I am in a quick battle (me defending against an assault). Computer picked forces for both sides. I have some MG teams setup in foxholes. They have been clicked to "deploy weapons", but they do not seem to be firing their machine guns against visible enemy targets.

I have never played with foxholes in CMBN (or any CMX2 game). Was I wrong to put my MG teams in foxholes? Since, when I was in the U.S. Army, I fired a United States Machine Gun Caliber 7.62 mm M60, from inside a foxhole, I did not think that would be a problem.

...some MG teams...in foxholes. They have been clicked to "deploy weapons", but they do not seem to be firing their machine guns against visible enemy targets.

Just being in foxholes shouldn't blind your MG teams. Couple of things to check:

Are the targets visible to the MG team? It's entirely possible for there to be an icon showing, and the potential target to seem a sitting duck, but for a given team not to be able to spot it. There are a number of reasons for this lack of spotting, from unappreciated terrain features (having trees turned off, small undulations in terrain), to the unit being set to Hide, which gimps their spotting something fierce.

Did you set the MG teams to Hide? Because in that case, even if they manage to spot the target, they'll tend not to fire on it since you've told them to not reveal their presence.

Maybe a spinoff of the MG positioning bug? If your team approaches a hedgerow or something from a parallel angle, they will sometimes set the MG up too far from the hedgerow to be able to see through it. You have to approach from a perpendicular angle to be sure and avoid this.

Don't know if that has anything to do with your issue, but it could be related. I know I've seen MGs firing from foxholes all the time in my games.

Well another turn went by and I can tell the MG teams in foxholes are firing their small arms, but none of them seem to actually be firing the MG itself. Perhaps it's just a limitation of the graphics, but the MG seems to be outside the foxhole, and the two soldiers who seem to be tasked with firing the MG just seem to crawl around and never fire the MG, while the other team members fire their rifles. I think I have three different MG34s setup in different foxholes, and I am noticing the same behavior with all of them.

Like I said earlier, I have never bothered with foxholes before because I remember reading that they provide very little, if any, cover. This is a "computer pick forces" game, and the computer saw fit to give me a bunch of foxholes, so I thought I would try them out, in the hope that foxholes had been "beefed up" a bit post patch.