CAS Helo Missions not working......

I have played a scenario with AH-64Ds at my disposal but it seems nothing happens when I call in a mission. I have tried all sorts of mission combinations (area/point, weight of attack, length of attack) but all I hear is the chatter and the sound of the helos overhead. However, no strikes are carried out against the target, at least not what I could see. Is this a problem or am I doing something wrong....

This is something i noticed quite a lot,can happen with Apaches or aircraft.Might not be a game fault though i wouldn't be sure.I always assumed the designated target had gone into hiding and it's locale not being clear thus the mission being aborted."All i can see is desert scenario,RTB"

I have played a scenario with AH-64Ds at my disposal but it seems nothing happens when I call in a mission. I have tried all sorts of mission combinations (area/point, weight of attack, length of attack) but all I hear is the chatter and the sound of the helos overhead. However, no strikes are carried out against the target, at least not what I could see. Is this a problem or am I doing something wrong....

I believe this is happening because the chopper cannot see the target. Things that help are:

* experienced pilots

* experienced + unsuppressed unit calling in the CAS mission

* making sure that the FO can see the target at all times and has good C2, that way he can guide the chopper

* favourable terrain, i.e. flattish, if your target is hidden in wooded areas or built areas spotting them for the chopper can be more difficult

I definitely have this problem at times when selecting the wrong combination of ammo type (Light, Medium, etc), general vs personnel, and the actual targets. I really wish the game would signal that the target is invalid, instead of having the aircraft endlessly "come around" until it gets bored. Especially when the information you are given about armaments for each aircraft is incredibly vague.

"Roger that, we are carrying some of the bullet icon things, and a bit less of the slightly different bullet icon stuff. The other one? Even we don't know what it is supposed to be. Over"

• 2 weeks later...

Since I started this thread, I've been playing a couple of the CMSF campaigns (Task Force Thunder and On Tracks Again). In the first scenario of the On Tracks Again campaign, I called in a strike using AH-64D helos against the Syrian forces that were dug in along a berm wall surrounding the major town in that scenario. I set up the strike as a linear pattern, using a general weapons load, medium weight of attack, medium duration of attack, and immediate resolution. I also made sure that the spotter kept the target and target area under constant surveillance and that the target (I think it was an ATGM team) didn't go into hiding. When I heard the chatter, the spotter had a definite European accent and the ensuing response was definitely American. Even though I requested an immediate attack, it took almost five turns (minutes) for the attack to occur. This delay could be a good representation of two different allied forces working with each other. Oh, and the attack was carried out. The helo attack started from one end of the trench and worked its way to the other end during the first run and then repeated the attack starting from the opposite end and working its way along the trench. The poor Syrian units died in a hail of 30mm cannon hits...alas, no missiles were launched but the fly-boys did a great job. So, all that has been said in this thread is correct. For a mission to be carried out, there must be a viable target in the target area and the spotting ground unit must be able to see that target or the target area at all times (no smoke, no dust, and the enemy not going to ground). Otherwise, the helos will just hover or patrol and then leave the combat area if no target in the target area presents itself. It might be a good idea for the next generation of this fine game, to have an option that allows the helos to stay on station for a specified amount of time and attack any target of opportunity if one presented itself and was under observation by ground forces and/or the helo itself. Just my two-cents-worth. Chris.