ELEVATIONS

PAEZ

I was wondering (and if the question has been posted before just point the way)

How do you know what are the elevations

on the field of battle map?

I've been following the battle reports and

Fion (sp?) shows a hill to the south east

on one of his early turns, but no other

map shows it.

BTW this look like a winner game.

keep the good work(games) coming

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks for dropping by!

Elevations are done by making the terrain graphics lighter or darker. Unfortunately, JPG compression and the close coloring of the snow tiles means that seeing the elevation in the AARs are more difficult to see than in the real thing.

The other other problem with a static shot is that you miss out on the the sense of perspective when the map is in motion. For example, as you rotate the map around you might see things become obscured as your perspective shifts to a new location and the object is now going behind something.

To see some good summer pics, and more high quality JPG winter shots, check out the Combat Mission Resources area. Plenty 'o pics in there smile.gif

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

There is NO lighting model of any sort. That would probably bring frame rate down to about, oh, 1fps due to our polygon load smile.gif

Gridlines aren't a bad idea, but they aren't that easy to do as they would have to follow the contours. Not impossible, but not as simple as just tossing down some lines. At this stage we don't have the time for something like this unless the Beta testers scream for it. So far all 5 of us playing the game (Charles, Fionn, Martin, Patrick, and myself) don't feel any need for it. Again, judging the screenshots is a bad idea for this sort of thing smile.gif

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Yes. JPG compression saves space by making assumptions about colors and how important they are to keep. The closer the colors are to each other, the more assumptions it makes. JPG compression setting and compression engine quality (i.e. the program doing it) also play into things. On top of that, the ones Fionn and Martin have been putting up on TGN are mostly shrunk down as well as compressed. This has a double "bleaching" effect on colors.

Steve

Are contour lines in the works? Since most of us can read a contour map and troops are given contour maps to navigate by, it seems logical (maybe fuzzy logic) to have the option to overlay the contours over the battle map. It would aide playability (yeah!) and only take a little away from the graphics (some sacrifices must be made).

[This message has been edited by Delaware Dave (edited 09-08-99).]

But in-game you can SEE the elevations etc.. This negates the need for a contour map.

Check out the AT article I wrote at TGN to see how you SEE contours..

Jpeging the images and the sheer whiteness of snowy terrain makes seeing contours more difficult for you than it is for us.

Neither Martin nor I have ever had any difficulties with figuring out contours and elevations in-game since you simply "see" them.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers