stop troops from firing

How do I stop troops from firing.

Example. I slow crawl a HQ unit up to a hedge for some arty recon, and they commence shooting at enemy units and quickly get annihilated.

Do I use the 360 degree target range option and keep it to a minimum?

I will test but wondering if others know the answer.

How do I stop troops from firing.

Example. I slow crawl a HQ unit up to a hedge for some arty recon, and they commence shooting at enemy units and quickly get annihilated.

Do I use the 360 degree target range option and keep it to a minimum?

I will test but wondering if others know the answer.

Correct; short cover arc is generally the best way to handle this.

Be wary of setting the cover are *too* short. Generally, you want to set the cover arc to the range where they will be spotted by an enemy anyway, even if they don't open fire. This way, they will open fire on self-defense if any enemy gets too close.

It takes a lot of practice to know exactly what this range is, and it depends on terrain and other conditions like light & visibility conditions. For most situations, I find a CA somewhere in the 25-50m range is good -- shorter if the unit has good concealment, longer if the concealment is marginal.

I've asked a similar question before, and I've never received a meaningful answer. I targeted a StuG to fire on a building I thought might be occupied. During the ensuing turn, the StuG fired six HE rounds at the building.

During the command phase of the next turn, I dropped the target and gave the StuG a firing arc. Despite my having dropped the target, the StuG spent the entire turn pumping HE rounds into the building when there were recognized enemy units in its firing arc.

How do I command the StuG to stop firing at the building and fire at other targets?

I've asked a similar question before, and I've never received a meaningful answer. I targeted a StuG to fire on a building I thought might be occupied. During the ensuing turn, the StuG fired six HE rounds at the building.

During the command phase of the next turn, I dropped the target and gave the StuG a firing arc. Despite my having dropped the target, the StuG spent the entire turn pumping HE rounds into the building when there were recognized enemy units in its firing arc.

How do I command the StuG to stop firing at the building and fire at other targets?

Hmmm... not sure. The cover arc should have canceled the area fire order. So the Stug should have stopped shooting at the building at this point unless it had spotted enemy infantry in the building (in which case it would no longer be area firing, but rather firing at a known enemy).

Often a unit will continue to fire at an area fire target for a few moments after the area fire order is cancelled, but generally only a shot or two (or a couple of bursts of MG fire) at most. I've never seen a unit keep executing an area fire order for a full turn after the order was cancelled or superseded by a cover arc.

Do you have a pic or a save game file?